Do any of you just mostly use buckets for fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also a bucket man. Usually let it sit 3 or 4 weeks and then right into a keg. If I'm dry hopping, I'll put the hops into a large hop bag I have and toss it right into the keg.

I used a bucket for years before taking a break from homebrewing. When I restarted brewing, I noticed my bucket smelled like old beer and was not entirely smooth on the inside, suggesting that it was not altoghether sanitary (or sanitizable, given the scratches). Instead of replacing plastic with more plastic that I'd have to replace agan sometime, I went all glass. Heavier, but easier to clean and, unless I drop one, I won't have to replace it. I use a 6.5 gallon for primary and 5-gallons for secondaries.

I have been using buckets but recently I have switched to better bottles. The reason for that is I have started saving some of the yeast to repitch and just think it a greater chance of something getting into an open bucket than an open better bottle. Plus my fermentation chamber holds 3 fermenters and I have 3 better bottles so it kinda works out.

bucket head here
buckethead_jk02.jpg

I had a couple glass carboys (OK, OK, Ihad four of them) when I outgrew my first plastic bucket. Then I got my first Corny.

I do everything in Cornies now. Primary, secondary, tertiary, quarternary, serving, all good. UV proof, only a few dollars more than a glass carboy, unbreakable and versatile.

I like the standardization, write on them with a sharpie, comes off easy in hot Oxyclean, they got handles on them fromt he factory.

I got a mash tun, a kettle and a bunch of cornies. That's all. Well, I have some bottles, but that is way after the bucket in the process.

I primary only in buckets for at least 3 weeks, preferably 4.
I use BB carboys for apfelwein and secondary for fruit beers.

I find it a PIA to rack to a secondary for a "clearer" beer when you can get similar results with an extended primary. Plus I hate cleaning carboys, or any equipment for that matter the less clean up the better.

I haven't been brewing all that long, but never saw the need to go beyond the plastic bucket. First, I don't believe all the stuff about chemicals getting into your beer from the plastic; all strictly hypothetical. Second, there's just no comparison between the ease of cleaning & maintenance between a bucket & a carboy. I use carboys for secondary, the glass ones only for extended periods...I've got a Winter Ale down for a long nap in one now. As far as what some people have said -the "yeast TV" thing- well, it's probably as entertaining as a lot of stuff on the tube, but I saw that once on a YouTube video, and I think that was enough.
In fact....I'm thinking about trying those extended primaries.....gotta get more buckets.

I use buckests but do have one carboy if I secondary something.

Sometimes I use the carboy for primary cuz it is fun to watch but buckest are easier to clean and use.

I use glass carboys. I like to be able to see the beer and also want to stay away from plastic for any bacteria harboring crevices and possible off flavours

I had a couple glass carboys (OK, OK, Ihad four of them) when I outgrew my first plastic bucket. Then I got my first Corny.

I do everything in Cornies now. Primary, secondary, tertiary, quarternary, serving, all good. UV proof, only a few dollars more than a glass carboy, unbreakable and versatile.

I like the standardization, write on them with a sharpie, comes off easy in hot Oxyclean, they got handles on them fromt he factory.

I got a mash tun, a kettle and a bunch of cornies. That's all. Well, I have some bottles, but that is way after the bucket in the process.

im with you, i realize now, that carboys are better replaced with cornys,

Back