DMV vs. corn Sugar carbing - anyone use DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Is there a taste difference when using DME instead of Cron Sugar for carbing? Is there anytime I should use one over the other?

Taste difference? No.

But you will use more DME by weight compared to dextrose to acheive the same level of carbonation. And a DME-primed beer will also carbonate more slowly.

There is a mild debate about this. Here are the pros, cons, and factors to consider:

-DME can leave a krausen ring in the bottle

-When using corn sugar, there is the possibility that yeast produce esters because of the switch from fermenting maltose (et. al) to fermenting glucose. This may or may not be noticable, with a higher potential for noticability in cleaner beers like lagers, Altbier, etc. It might actually add to ester profiles in certain styles of ale, which could be good.

-I've heard/read that when using any malt-based sugar for priming lagers, to store the bottles during the carbonation period at primary fermentation temps, e.g., 50°F.... because the lager yeast may produce noticable esters, etc. when fermenting maltose warm.

I've used saved wort several times for priming, but have switched to corn sugar for the ease of it... even for my clean lagers... and don't perceive a noticable difference. The cost, too, of corn sugar vs. DME, etc. is much easier on the wallet. I've never used straight DME, but have not noticed a longer carbonation period with saved wort.

When I bottled my hefe I was out of dextrose so I just used cane sugar. It worked out great with a Budweiser level of carbonation is just four days. You need to use less of it as well.

I hate the DMV.

I've used saved wort several times for priming, but have switched to corn sugar for the ease of it... even for my clean lagers... and don't perceive a noticable difference. The cost, too, of corn sugar vs. DME, etc. is much easier on the wallet. I've never used straight DME, but have not noticed a longer carbonation period with saved wort.

Mensch,

What kind of volumes of wort were you using? This sounds like an interesting experiment. I'm assuming a midgravity wort- 1.040-1.050?

Jason

Mensch,

What kind of volumes of wort were you using? This sounds like an interesting experiment. I'm assuming a midgravity wort- 1.040-1.050?

Jason

There's a calculation for priming with saved wort:

Saved wort (qts) = (12 X Gallons to prime)/Last two digits of OG

So, for a 10 gallon batch of 1.050, I would use 2.4 qts. The saved wort is obviously the same OG as the beer was. Kaiser just did a thread about this topic and said he noticed a slight difference (however, he used krausen beer), but there were some outlying variables, so I wouldn't say the jury is out on it.

I use Turbinado sugar (AKA: sugar in the raw) for priming. Most grocery stores have it. I've deluded myself into beleving it will impart an added complexity to the flavors, given the "molassy" substances Turbinado has. It's kind of a mid point between table sugar and brown sugar. I use standard table sugar measurements when I weigh it out.

If you do really crisp pale brews or lagers, it might not be a welcome addition -- but in everything I do (12ish SRM minimum) it's cool. I may transition to corn sugar some day, but as of now I'm not particularly fond of adding it to my brews. I like the Turbinado because it gives me a feeling -- however illusory -- of adding something natural and "in the raw," as opposed to hella-processed corn sugar.

Regarding the original question: I'm sure there's a fair number of folks who use DME to prime. I know Papazian's recipes all have calculations for corn sugar and DME for priming. I think this is more because back in the day, corn sugar was harder to come by than it is now. Rather than use standard table sugar, people just used what they had on hand: DME. That would be about the only rational I can think of to use DME to prime, people just have it around.

I usually use DME, produces a creamier smaller bubble head IMO than corn sugar. no difference in Flavor or color. just a better final result. Buddy just bottled using corn sugar.... will check his batch. Corn sugar does carbonate faster, much faster.

When I bottled my hefe I was out of dextrose so I just used cane sugar. It worked out great with a Budweiser level of carbonation is just four days. You need to use less of it as well.

I have completely converted to carbing with cane sugar instead of corn sugar.

Back