Dms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
So I Brewed an Octoberfest, and I lost my measuring stick so I didn't know how much preboil volume I had. So I eyeballed it, and took some "3rd runnings" to boil separately and add later if necessary, if my volume was low and my OG high...

Turned out I was 1/2 gal short and 6 points high on my OG. So I added 1/2 gal of the lower gravity 3rd runnings to my 5 gallons of boiled original beer.

Well, I forgot to boil it for long enough. I think I boiled it on my stove (mild boil) for ~20 ish minutes...

My yeast is Cream Ale blend WL080.

I boiled the main batch for 75 min, Pils malt was 25% of grist.

Is my batch screwed? Will it taste like canned corn

I can't wouch for that your batch isn't screwed, but I really dont think that ½ gallon is gonna give you DMS issues.

I wouldn't be worried about DMS at all in that scenario along with typical post-boil cooling practices. I once brewed a Dortmunder that was 80% pilsner malt, did a 60 min boil and there was zero DMS.

i stopped doing longer boils on my 3rd batch using pilsner base malt. Ive never ran into anything remotely close to DMS either

Latest posts

Back