DME vs Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaha35

Reaction score
Just about to brew up a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter can this afternoon. The recipe calls for 2.2 lbs of Corn Sugar which I have but I also have a bag of Light DME which I would like to try. My last bitter came out a little too cidery but drinkable so I am curious if the LDME would be a better ferment able or should I just stick with Dextrose?

How much DME and how much water do you use for this technique? For a 5 gallon batch that is. I assume you use the same boiling of the water and disolving of the DME and cooling before adding to bottling bucket. Sorry to butt in, I have been wanting to try this too.

Ok I just finished up. I boiled about 3 and 1/2 gallons and let cool. Just to be safe. Then did a stove top boil of 1.5 gal and added the LME and 2.2 lbs of LDME with no boil over and good dissolve. Added hot wort to fermenter and added the cold water for 5 gallons perfectly. I am looking forward to seeing how the LDME adds sweetness and body.

For bottling I am probably going to just use corn sugar for my primer but I have read that if you use DME you have to use a little more.

The beer might be maltier than you expect, since you added malt extract but not additional hops. I think you'll like the results, though. It'll be a heavier bodied beer than you get with the corn sugar.

I use corn sugar for priming, but you can do it with DME if you want. The DME is usually 1.25 cups (dissolved in some boiling water) to 5 gallons of beer. I haven't noticed any difference in the carbonation, so I almost always use corn sugar. It's cheaper and faster. The DME priming takes about a week or two longer to carb up.

Back