DME vs. Corn Sugar as a Primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorpoet

Reaction score
Hello,
I have seen a couple of threads on this forum about this subject with most people saying that the corn sugar would be the better of the two as a primer mainly because of a quicker carbonation. I hope I am correct with this...tell me if I am wrong. However, I am attempting a Belgian beer similar to Leffe or even the North Coast Pranqster and want to know if there will be any significant change to the taste of the beer based upon using either ingredient.
Thanks!

The best thing about using DME is you can honestly say 100% malt, whereas with corn sugar you do that little shuffle thing and admit you but corn sugar in.

But honestly, you'll never notice any taste difference.

The amounts are not large enough, and the possible flavor contribution too small, to impact the beer. Now the difference between corn sugar and molasses, that's noticeable, even in priming sugar.

I've always found that DME gives a slightly smoother carbonation than pure sugar. But that might just be me.

Bob

Thanks everyone.
I like the idea of a smoother carbonation as I want a 'delicate' Belgian presence.

Back