DME over-attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
Hey all, is anybody else getting over-attention when brewing with extract? Finding that all my extract brews are hitting 85 percent or so. My AG beers stick around 75 percent where I want em’.

Using 100 percent malt DME (muntons, usually). No sugar. I doubt it’s an infection. Does DME just ferment out dry?

I haven't brewed recently with Muntons DME.

What strain(s) of yeast are you brewing with?

If you are seeing this with other brands of DME, can you mention those brands as well?
Thanks for the reply! It’s pretty consistent, I might get 80 percent with a low attenuating yeast like wyeast 1968, or as much as 90 percent with US-05. It’s consistently about 10 percent over my target, and I always hit my target with all-grain.

I think I’ve only used muntons and briess extract.

No, I personally have never seen this or heard of it. Usually, it's the opposite problem and it underattenuates.
Is it possible to make things too easy for your yeast? I use pure o2 and slightly over-pitch.

Is it possible to make things too easy for your yeast? I use pure o2 and slightly over-pitch.

Well, anything is possible I guess, but I take good care of my yeast as well and I don't recall it ever happening to me. Still, I believe you but I'm just shrugging my shoulders with a "I have no idea!" type of thought here. If this is a consistent pattern, at least you know it and can deal with it!

Well, anything is possible I guess, but I take good care of my yeast as well and I don't recall it ever happening to me. Still, I believe you but I'm just shrugging my shoulders with a "I have no idea!" type of thought here. If this is a consistent pattern, at least you know it and can deal with it!
Lol, it’s not a big problem - I mostly brew AG anyway. Sounds like I’m the only one with is issue!

It happens the same with me.
Recent propagation with s189

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210517-140000.png
    Screenshot_20210517-140000.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 17
Hey all, is anybody else getting over-attention when brewing with extract? Finding that all my extract brews are hitting 85 percent or so. My AG beers stick around 75 percent where I want em’.

Using 100 percent malt DME (muntons, usually). No sugar. I doubt it’s an infection. Does DME just ferment out dry?
Which Muntons? Pilsner? Plain 2-row? The lightest dme is more likely to get high attenuation.

Back