DME or LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miafunk2003

Reaction score
Wen extract brewing is it better to use LME or DME....another question i have is it better to use corn sugar or or Dme for carbonation? whats the difference?

None is better than the other.

Some are easier, some not, but it's all about give and take with these 2 malts.

I DO NOT recommend LME as it is darker than DME...and will alsway be that way. So if you try to stay within the guidelines for the brew then you already lost.

Corn sugar vs DME...same situation. Corn sugar is faster, DME may be better...but takes longer to get that way.

Welcome!:D

I use both DME and LME in most of my brews and I use corn sugar to prime, seems to work just fine. What you should not do is use corn sugar as a principle fermentable (ie. as a replacement for DME).

homebrewer_99 said:
I DO NOT recommend LME as it is darker than DME...and will alsway be that way. So if you try to stay within the guidelines for the brew then you already lost.

Isn't this mainly true about color for light brews? If the brew is dark in color anyway (e.g., an amber, ESB, old ale, stout, dark lager, etc), just substitute pale LME for amber or dark LME that a recipe calls for and adjust the color darker, if need be, by varying the amount and color of crystal malt.

Or am I missing something?

Bill is right, of course.

But to me, it really comes down to, do you want your IPA(or whatever) to be the same color as most of the commercial IPA's or does it not matter. Personally, it normally doesn't make me much difference. Every now and then I get a notion to get a really clear and nicely colored brew, but it's not that often. Does it taste and smell good is mainly what matters to me.

beer4breakfast said:
Isn't this mainly true about color for light brews? If the brew is dark in color anyway (e.g., an amber, ESB, old ale, stout, dark lager, etc), just substitute pale LME for amber or dark LME that a recipe calls for and adjust the color darker, if need be, by varying the amount and color of crystal malt.

Or am I missing something?
You're not missing anything...I was referring to lighter colored brews.

If you are brewing a dark brew go for it...color is not a factor, but I will add that you should use a light malt as a base and augment your color with your darker malts, i.e., chocolate, black patent, etc.

Too many HB recipes recommend a lot of dark malt, but I found that it's overkill. Use the lighter malt as the base and (less) dark malt for flavoring/color.

Of course, I prefer to drink from a clear glass so color is a factor. Should I ever brew a batch that is too dark for the style then I would automatically drink from a ceramic mug where color is not a factor...since you never see it only taste it.

So... is there a flavor difference between the lighter and darker MEs, or is it just all about the color? Could I sub a lighter LME in some recipe to get the correct color without affecting the flavor?

So, let's say you saw a recipe that called for Bavarian Wheat DME...is there a LME you could substitute? A munton's or other common variety? It was used in a Cherry Wheat (saw it in the thread on here yesterday)

Atrus said:
So, let's say you saw a recipe that called for Bavarian Wheat DME...is there a LME you could substitute? A munton's or other common variety? It was used in a Cherry Wheat (saw it in the thread on here yesterday)
Absolutely - just substitute something with a similar name! Some may frown on this laissez faire approach to brewing, but I really enjoy experimenting with ingredients and adjuncts in order to create a somewhat original brew. I bet Munton's makes a wheat LME that would work just fine. The folks at your LHBS can probably lead you in a more concrete direction if you're looking for authenticity.

Both LME and DME are made from wort made with various malts. The darker MEs are made with Munichs and caramel and chocolate malts and the lighter MEs are made with Pilsen and brewers base malts and pale ale malts. Thus, darker MEs have the flavor character of dark malts. It is not just color.

The wort for making Mes are made from the malt by traditional brewing methods (mash, lauter, kettle boil). However,it is only boiled for a short time such as 15 minutes to get a hot break. The wort is then whirlpooled and sent to a vaccum evaporator where it is concentrated to LME (80% solids). Vaccum is used so the wort "boils" at about 85- 90 F, thus reducing the "cooked" flavor of the extract. DME is made by slightly concentrating the wort via vaccum evaporation and then drying in various types of dryers (spray dryer, box dryer, cyclone dryer, etc). Each of these, DME & LME, have their advantages. Which one is best for you depends on what you are doing and what you want.

DME has the advantage of being a more stable form in terms of color and storage. DME does not darken with time and if stored in a cool dry place, can last for quite some time. The disadvantages are it is more expensive as you are paying for the cost of drying and it is hydroscopic, it absorbs water out of the air. When this happens it turns into a rock making it harder to weigh, dissolve etc. It may also start to darken depending on the moisture level.

LME is the less expensive of the two and it disperses easily in warm water. The disavantages are that it will slowly darken with time if stored and, being a syrup, it is sticky and less convenient to measure and weigh. LME darkening can be slowed by storing in a frig but the darkening is a continuous process. If you buy fresh LME, try and use it within a few weeks. Also, if your LHBS has bulk LME, it should be fresher than the canned stuff.

Atrus, as for a wheat LME, Briess has one that makes an excellent sub for wheat DME.

Dr Malt

I was told to always use a combination of the 2. The guy who owns the bbrew store nearby said that LME ferments "dryer" thus adding more alcohol than DME, which adds more flavor. Or, the other way around. Basically you get the best of both worlds by combining.

Thanks Dr Malt and Yuri_Rage....I'll be trying that with a LME then. I just feel more comfortable with it, all 3 of my bres have used LME thus far.

I just find DME a lot easier to work with. Since I can't buy LME in bulk at the HBS, I'm limited to using multiples of however much extract is in the can (I think many recipes and kits call for combos of DME and LME because of this). I don't have to worry about heating up the LME so that it flows out of the can. I can measure DME precisely. I'm doing partial/mostly-mashes now and getting some fermentables still from extract, but always DME now.

well my nect brew ill be using DME....my last 2 brews i used LME and i want to be able to tell the difference so ill see how it goes

Dr Malt said:
Both LME and DME are made from wort made with various malts. The darker MEs are made with Munichs and caramel and chocolate malts and the lighter MEs are made with Pilsen and brewers base malts and pale ale malts. Thus, darker MEs have the flavor character of dark malts. It is not just color.

This is not to contradict you, Dr. Malt, because I certainly am not in a position to really know. However, I was told by TGAMLHBS (the guy at my local home brew store) that their bulk pale, amber, and dark LME's that they dispense into pails from big spigoted plastic barrels are all made from exactly the same base malt, with the only difference being the color and quantity of crystal malt that has been added to it during its production.

Atrus said:
Actually, you would use L-E-S-S DME than LME in the same recipe. If you do a straight 1-for-1 substitution then you brew will require an adjustment to the bittering hops.

What really makes the beers flavor is the yeast used. If you're making a Bavarian Weizen you can't use an American Wheat, for instance, because they have two different flavors.

Back