DME only Extract Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am moving from canned extract recipes to DIY but only with extracts and steeping grains.

I want to know if using DME only recipes is a problem. Should I also add LME. Do not see why. The cost to buy DME and ship is lower. As from DMEMART.

I see no major difference with LME over DME??? So many recipes use both, and the reason is ??

I have used DME for hop boils, I am experienced and so far no hot break boil over :)

I can get color and flavor from the assorted steeping grains ?

Planning on brewing a few recipes in about a month after I brew the remaining canned extracts (MRB)

TNX
RR

I see not major difference with LME over DME??? So many recipes use both, and the reason is ??

standard container size.
Its a lot easier to add DME to a kit than it is to package an off amount of LME.
Most kits use LME as the bulk fermentables because its cheaper to make and buy at wholesale level.

when you figure the conversion and shipping DME is actually a little cheaper at the consumer level. As for brewing with DME only, I never use LME anymore.

That's what I am doing now and having good success. Will let me make great beer until I can build up my equipment for AG! Even when I get to AG, I'd imagine I'll probably still do DME beers from time to time. I have made some pretty darn good extract beers! IMHO...

I've found out that when getting LME from my LHBS it's a little cheaper to get than DME (usually like $2 per 5 gallon batch in reality) but I always ask how fresh it is first.

Forgot to add... I think DME produces better tasting beer as compared to LME. Some folks refer to the LME "twang" you can get.

That's what I am doing now and having good success. Will let me make great beer until I can build up my equipment for AG! Even when I get to AG, I'd imagine I'll probably still do DME beers from time to time. I have made some pretty darn good extract beers! IMHO...

I still make extract beers from time to time. Certain styles seem to work just fine with extract and it makes for a much shorter brew day.

Forgot to add... I think DME produces better tasting beer as compared to LME. Some folks refer to the LME "twang" you can get.

I think the "twang" is a result of old extract. DME tends to be more consistent and shelf stable. That being said, if you get really good fresh LME, I think it's the best option.

I did all my extract brews as DME as well.

Storing, measuring, and using it are all much easier in my mind than LME. I do AG now but I still keep a container of DME on hand.

Hey gang,

I quickly got off LME due to the extract twang, much darker color and didn't care for the very similar flavor that came with each batch. My DME batches jumped in quality by quite a bit. I just switched to AG 3 batches ago and think my beers using the same recipes is even better.

With that being said, I just took Second Place in the German Wheat/Rye category today at the San Diego County Fair Home Brew Competition with my DME Hefeweizen. You don't need expensive equipment or AG to make very good beer

Learn what affects quality, dial in your process and RDWHAHB

Toy4Rick

Latest posts

Back