DME in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
H_99 gave me a great idea last night. Rather than spending $4 on DME, buy bulk and it can be $0.30 a pound. I've seen these 55# cases online. Is this a bunch of lil' bags or one large large? Anyone know?

it might depend on who you buy it from. the LHBS where I am sells both liquid and dry extract in bulk, and they come as one large package.

-walker

I'm sure he'll chime in here (HB99) but if he doesn't, maybe you could ask your HBS shop owner.
I've inquiried mine about doing a large order of grain form North Country. He said he'd do it at cost when he places his order.

ORRELSE said:
I've inquiried mine about doing a large order of grain form North Country. He said he'd do it at cost when he places his order.

Not to hijack the thread....but HOT DAMN!!!!

I picked up 5 lb bags from Austin HBS recently for $16.99 when my local shop sells it for $13.99/3lbs. I can't see getting much more than that though. The stuff is just so nasty to handle and store, moisture screws with it. I made a holy mess just trying to measure out a 1/2lb of the stuff.

The councilman has corrected my math. It's approximately $2/lb for a $110 55# order of DME at my local shop. I think my $0.30 was wishful thinking...

That's still a pretty good price though. I inquired at my LHBS and they said it would be $184 for 55# :eek:

Cheapest I've found online so far was in the neighborhood of $130 + shipping (bringing it to around $150 I think.)

I think stoage will be your nemisis here.. unless you live where the humididty is at or near 0-10% you will find yourself chipping off blocks of DME that have hardened. The other factor that comes into play here is that the DME has picked up moiture form the atmosphere so it's weight isn't exactly the same as it was before.

I read this post a few nights ago, and I was having a hard time getting over the thought of having to go around my supplier.
And went right to this post tonight, in order to find where to get
.30 a pound dme.

$2.00 a pound, Good!
Just a mistake, but I sure was going to buy a truckload!
Loyality be damned.

I get syrup for $2.00 per pound, {for a 33 lb bucket,}
and if I were to buy a barrel, {300lb's}
I could get lme {syrup} for a dollar a pound. And that is a fact!
Anyone wanna split a barrel?
That would be 2,000 9lb ales, {or beers} each!

J. Knife

I'M BACKKKK!

Just got back from my recent trip to NJ and PA where my wife and I had the opportune pleasure to meet (and drink) with Gaelone and his fiancee, Jocelyn, at the Laughing Lion in Dover, NJ.

It was a non-discript local watering hole/restaurant that didn't advertise it's beer selection. It has a menu of 100 beers or so.

We got there a bit early so I started and finished with some Bass Ale while Gaelone and significant other drank stouts. Gaelone asked about a Kostrizer Schwarzbier and I recommended it. I told him that I had brought back a 5L keg of it from Germany several years ago. To which I told him that I make a DoppelBock that once poured into a glass and held up to the sun that you cannot see any light coming through, not even a slight glow from the sun...pitch black.

I also gave him 2 bottles of my Kilkenny Irish Ale (that I am still waiting for a critique on).

Let me clarify some of what's already been stated.

My local HBS sells 3# bags of DME for 12.50. (The last few bags I have from years ago I paid 8.50).

I buy my bulk DME from Midwestsupplies.com. in 55# boxes for $119. and change (120 for easy math). That comes out to 2.18 per lb.

I buy 1 or 2 - 55# boxes as well as several pound bags of hops and 3-6 vials of yeast with every purchase. For my past purchases I believe that averaged out to about 2.48 per lb. with shipping.

The bulk DME come in a large box several inches larger than a milk crate. The DME is double bagged. Each bag has a rubber band closing it.

I currently have 6 boxes of DME stored in my basement. I've never had any problems with it and humidity. Of course, I don't have a dark dank basement either. Just on the other side of the wall I have my theater room. In the neighboring room I have 6 guitars (not in cases). My point is my basement is not a dungeon.

Welcome back HB99. Jocelyn and I really enjoyed meeting you two as well. Too bad I had work the next morning. Would've liked to have hit 1/10th of their list. If only my brain was working and I remembered to bring you the pales I had intended. I'll have to send you some.

I have to try that EKU you mentioned.

So each bag is just over 25#? Could play on my fears (of humidity affecting the DME) and brew a lot more! :cool:

Not 25# . . . 25 kilos! (55 lbs)

All you have to do is scoop your poundage out of the bag, weigh it, add it to the pot and reseal the bags with the rubber bands. I usually roll the outer bag down over the sides of the boz to hold them down then trim down the inner bag by about 2 feet so I can get a scoop in there easily. If you decide to go this route don't trim the bag down so low that it won't be reclosable until you get about 10-15 lbs out of it.

We've had a lot of high humidity days here this past summer, but I never had 2 powder granules clump together (until they hit the warming waters that is) so I wouldn't worry about the humidity and bulk DME.

(I also made a correction to my last post...sorry) :(

The EKU is pretty powerful stuff. A little goes a long way. As I see it, it's more a novelty than anything else. I mean moonshine is good too, but you don't drink it by the glassful...or do you? :drunk:

Incidently, EKU is from Kulmbach. It's about 30 miles east of Bamberg (where I worked) and a shorter distance from Bayreuth, the home of Richard Wagner and the Maisel Brothers Brewery, oh, and an annual Weizen Fest!

Kulmbach (Kulm's Creek, "bach" means "creek") is noted as being the place where archealogists found the first written beer recipe in Germany (present territory). It was dated as being from about 800 BC. Maybe it's Teutonic? The Teutons were genocide victims of the early Romans in the BC.

Later.

I pay $11.49 for a 3# bag of Munton's DME. Dang...looks like my HBS is better on price than I thought!

My yeast is $6.50 per smack-pack, my pre-crushed Caramel 60L was $1.85 per # and my hops are $1.50 per oz. These prices any good compared to your guys'?

Picture from 15 Sep at the Laughing Lion is posted here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/homebrewer_99

About prices:

I pay about $5.50 for a White Labs vial; $12-$15 ($0.75 - $0.93) for a pound of Whole Hops. Pellets are a little cheaper.

Then there's shipping of course, but when I compute the S&H I just divide the poundage for the DME by the S&H. With this calculation the $2.48 a pound actually equates to me getting all the other stuff for free.

I know it's a numbers game, but it's to my advantage.

The main reason why I calculate it this way is because the S&H isn't identified as this much for the DME, that much for the yeast, and that much for the hops, etc. I just take the complete S&H and divide it into the DME.

So as I said earlier it's about $2.48 per pound and all the other stuff is free.
This is still better than my local HBS charges me $12.50 for 3 lbs and won't/can't do bulk. Oh, and their same yeast is 7.95 a vial.

Midwestsupplies.com is for me. Other places have DME for $120, but it's only 40 lbs, not 55 lbs.

HB99 nice shot. I just knew you were a big guy. :D Just the way you come across on the boards. I think we should get some more shots so we can see what people look like. I'll have to get SWMBO to take some pics my next brew day.

When I click on it, I'm out of the pic! too funny, but I'm there in the preview.

When I meant 25# bags, I meant are there two bags in the box or one large 55# bag? Either way, it's bought! 110$ for 50# is much better than $12 for 3#.

A friend of mine gave me a gift card for my birthday for a shop with tons of beer selections (by the bottle)...I'll have to mosey on down there for the EKU. Just one though.

Gaelone: I don't know why you're out of the pic in the view mode. Could be your screen resolution. Why don't you just download it and save it on your HD? You would be able to manipulate it from there.

As for the 55# boxes: It's one bag inside the other...double bagged.

Sure would like to join you for the EKU, but I've had (more than) my share over the years. Now it's your turn. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 Street (as we say in Philly - yes, I used to live in So. Philly also): I got big by lifting heavy weights many, many years ago. I know it sounds funny, but I had to give it up when I started noticing that as my body was bulking up my head seemed to shrink. :rolleyes:

Even this past week I was lifting a bunch of 120mm Mortars (by myself) which weigh about 90 lbs each (I'll have to get back to you on the actual weight later). When I was in artillery, I still am actually, I mean, when I was a soldier in artillery, I was on the 8 inch Howitzer for 4 years and used to manhandle 200 lb bullets. :cool: Of course I only weighed in at about 185 then.

Then as I got older the Weizens from 1975 til now must have caught up with me. Or a combination of the past 5 years in Germany with weizens and schnitzels.

I have to be excited about life because I had a heart attack when I was 42. All the days and years since are gifts. If I had died I would never have gotten to meet 1 granddaughter and 4 greatgrandkids.

Oh yeah, then there's you guys! :D

Last year, I bought 55# of DME and I think it ended up being ~$150-165 shipping included. Still better than buying smaller quantities. As far as storage goes, it came in 2 big plastic bags (one inside another), that was inside a bigger box. It wasn't too bad to keep dry-it just makes measuring some out a bit of an ordeal. Basicly unraveling the bag, removing rubber bands-then closing it back up as best as possible to leave as little air space as you can.

Back