DIY Walk In Cooler Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id say that doesnt sound too bad, just plead ignorance on having to get a permit through the HOA. Worst they can do is slap you with a fine, not like they will make you take them down, good luck though hope all goes well!

Is the cooler by any chance not visible from the street/adjoining properties, etc.? If so you could plead that you only thought the visible one mattered.

But I think you're screwed - they'll probably see this as further avoidance of the rules and/or an insult to their authority since you didn't come clean with the whole project.

Get out those knee pads and good luck.

finsfan said:
Id say that doesnt sound too bad, just plead ignorance on having to get a permit through the HOA. Worst they can do is slap you with a fine, not like they will make you take them down, good luck though hope all goes well!

Actually, depending on how the association by laws are written they can require him to take it down or do it themselves and bill him in addition to fines, and if he doesn't pay they can put a lean on his house, etc. I've lived in an association where that happened (and with good reason in that case) though I certainly hope it doesn't come to that for you dude

I got home a bit stressed due to my impending reamage so I threw together a quick dinner and did a couple things in the cooler to chillax a bit:

I finally got all the T-Star Lags swapped out for the regular hex ones:

mQvs4yv.jpg

And I double sided taped the AC control panel on as I lost the ability to mount it when I took off the front plate:

M4Nh2z1.jpg

Now I'm off to see how bad it is to be a prison *****.

We're here for you Irrenarzt:rockin:

But if you do go to prison, can we divvy up your beer and brewing things?
I mean you'll have your own toilet to make hooch in right.:D

Holy crap that was a weird experience.

I went to the HOA board meeting I mentioned numerous times earlier. I got there about 15 minutes early and even then I was 4th in line. They had 18 items on their agenda and a bunch of people filed in right at 7 or later so I lucked out on the timing.

I'm not going to give out much details as I don't want to incriminate myself. The first three people had architects, contractors, letters of recommendation from their neigbors, character witnesses, and even one guy had his lawyer with him. It was pretty entertaining to see the dog and pony shows they were putting on for the board, trying to get their variances approved. Each of the first three parties were in pretty major violation of the HOA rules in some way or another. Two of the three had multiple variances they were trying to get passed. It was a serious brown nose festival. But the results for them were not favorable. All three were bent over, one really hard, and none of these variances were granted. They claimed they could put in appeals with the main board but they weren't meeting until mid August and they apologized but in a cocky and smug kind of way. The one lawyer threatened to sue but they didn't even flinch. Needless to say, I was not feeling so great when my turn came up.

So I get up there, all by myself with a can of spray paint and a pen in front of these arseholes, and the dude who was supposed to come and take the pictures this afternoon seemed to have a camera malfunction with his camera today and couldn't take pictures. The only pictures they had were the ones from my document I submitted 10 days ago in response to the initial complaint. The one guy who was supposed to take the pics thought the cooler was a pre-existing structure that was part of the garage. So I went with it, but thinking he might be trying to trick me into incriminating myself. But I quickly realized he really did think the cooler was in fact a part of the house and that it was there for quite some time. I didn't disagree and argued my case, mainly saying that I was trying to best match the existing construction (which was really the main focus of this group of it seemed). I was apologetic for not getting a permit to start but they didn't seem to GAF about that at all. They were impressed by the overall job but I could tell they didn't understand completely how everything was laid out. I got them all on my good side with a few well placed quips and in the end they approved the project with one caveat that I painted the roof a tan color to match the existing roof. I kind of knew that was going to be the case coming in. That was what the paint was for, to see if that was an approved color.

Needless to say, I was pretty amped coming out of there. It looks like that is behind us for the time being but I still think we should get this done soon so they can't come back and bugger me. But it seems like they are pretty busy and that they will be moving on to the next people to harass.

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA, and am honestly willing to put up with their BS because I have heard the horror stories from those who don't live in an HOA protected area. Clearly, you are in compliance to what they actually want - modifications to the property that don't detract from the surroundings. Your work has been incredibly well done, and it seems to match the existing structure as best as possible. I'd say they didn't even consider bringing the hammer down on you, because you are trying to do things with some consideration to how it looks to both you and your neighbors.

Showing up with spray paint and not a lawyer is the best thing you could have done. If you had been willing to play ball and they still refused your request, then that would have indicated you are actually dealing with small people - not just neighbors trying to protect the aesthetics of the area. I don't think you'll have any more problems, and I'm excited to see the finished product. I know you are as well.

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA, and am honestly willing to put up with their BS because I have heard the horror stories from those who don't live in an HOA protected area. Clearly, you are in compliance to what they actually want - modifications to the property that don't detract from the surroundings. Your work has been incredibly well done, and it seems to match the existing structure as best as possible. I'd say they didn't even consider bringing the hammer down on you, because you are trying to do things with some consideration to how it looks to both you and your neighbors.

Showing up with spray paint and not a lawyer is the best thing you could have done. If you had been willing to play ball and they still refused your request, then that would have indicated you are actually dealing with small people - not just neighbors trying to protect the aesthetics of the area. I don't think you'll have any more problems, and I'm excited to see the finished product. I know you are as well.

I've heard 100x as many horror stories about HOAs as I have 'hoods without them.

Congrats getting through that ordeal. Really glad it worked out as this is really a great build you have. No way a contractor would do a better or more professional job. Really jealous. :D

Irrenarzt said:
They are much more strict in Canadia perhaps.

Pittsburgh as well (probably a city thing). I need a permit to put up *drywall*. Forget about the plumbing and electrical requirements. Everything requires a trip to the zoning board.

Awesome build by the way. Hope to do something similar indoors (no space outside).

Nice! From the sounds of it, those other guys actually set you up to be the no brainer issue.

Did these guys do a sweep of the neighborhood recently? How do 18 issues come up in one meeting?

Anyway, glad you're past that drama.

Congrats on getting past this issue! When we moved into our current house (small, all new development) I quickly volunteered to be on the board to help ensure that we didn't go down that road (and to make sure nobody thought they were "king" of the neighborhood.) Now our HOA only worries about fining the deadbeats and harassing peeps who let the outside of their houses get trashy :)

Congrats! Glad it worked out for you. As for benefits from HOAs, I will chime in as someone who has the benefit of not having one. It's bliss. Deed restrictions are enough to keep people in line around here and we have never had an issue. I'm lucky to have good neighbors for sure.

One of my inlaws lives in a well planned community near Houston. The HOA paid for flyovers to bust all of the people with unapproved trampolines and swing sets for their kids. I don't want those dues.

Congrats! Glad it worked out for you. As for benefits from HOAs, I will chime in as someone who has the benefit of not having one. It's bliss. Deed restrictions are enough to keep people in line around here and we have never had an issue. I'm lucky to have good neighbors for sure.

One of my inlaws lives in a well planned community near Houston. The HOA paid for flyovers to bust all of the people with unapproved trampolines and swing sets for their kids. I don't want those dues.

Nice brew stands in your gallery there............"Tyler Texas"........
"Self policing"..........I like that!

Glad this all worked out. HOAs are not all bad and for the most part, they are protecting your interest. I have to abide by the rules in two HOAs and pay a small fortune each year in fees. I'm the VP in the HOA at our mountain lake community. There are only 48 homeowners and probably half live in Florida. Most are older than us and retired and many of them live to enforce rules. It's kinda like Del Boca Vista and the Seinfelds. As the VP, I keep a low profile and most people don't bother me when I'm up there. I could tell some stories about the crazy stuff some people try to get away with.

Nice work dude. It's like you said before. The devil is in the details. And the proof is in every pic we get of your build. Doing it right the first time was definitely cheaper compared to what could have come out of the HOA meeting. Keep it up! You're almost there!

Nice! From the sounds of it, those other guys actually set you up to be the no brainer issue.

Did these guys do a sweep of the neighborhood recently? How do 18 issues come up in one meeting?

Anyway, glad you're past that drama.

The dude who was supposed to take the pictures but his camera "failed" saw the construction mess in my driveway in a driveby and called me out on the lack of permit. I asked if any of my neighbors had complained in my meeting last night but it appears none had. He just drives around looking for people out of compliance with their regs it appears.

And thanks everyone for the good words and support. I do appreciate it.

Nice brew stands in your gallery there............"Tyler Texas"........
"Self policing"..........I like that!

Thanks for the compliment. I bought the house before I knew much about HOAs. I'll probably wish I had one the minute some dirtbag moves in across the street.

I think you got lucky with the HOA. Except for condos, HOA's are not common in Canada unless you live in a gated community.I would never live in an HOA community because i would probably shoot someone over their stupid rules that make no sense.

I was thinking of building something similar but freestanding like a commercial unit. It is pretty easy to get my hands on used walk-in cooler compressors with restaurants coming and going these days.

I just got offered a 6' x 8' cooler from a restaurant that is closing recently. A little small for my intentions but I would have considered it a couple months ago.

I definitely got lucky with the HOA. Thank God for the inferior education system in the Southwest.

Are people allowed to own guns in Canada? Pardon my ignorance but here guns are pretty common. My experience with Canada is limited.

Yes, gun ownership is allowed, but with restrictions. Hand guns require special permitting and no automatic weapons. Long guns are of the hunting variety only.

Back to work on the cooler today. To start, I made a quick dump run, then went into town to get a bite to eat, some coffee, some flooring and some corner trim:

mu3ZzrF.jpg

I forgot the TSP so I'll either have to go back or use some PBW which is somewhat similar...

I stopped at the local hardware on the way back and got some TSP. I like stopping there as the Mexican lady that works there has a nice tight rack.

Still working on the vertical corners:

UqyeCSK.jpg

A few more verticals to go but I just sliced my finger pretty good. Sheet metal work is hard on hands.

Great job with the HOA. So far I have staid clear mine, even building a 1000 sq' patio and outdoor kitchen. Great work on the cooler, I can't wait for it to be cooling. You should do a test run to the maxes just to see how cool you can get this thing. That could help many others, cough cough...

Cool test in due time my friend. I have the AC on full blast in there without a door and it is holding 70 in close to 95 degree heat. It's comfortable but not exactly the most efficient right now.

Hard to see but the door side vertical angle flashings are in :

fvmbpCE.jpg

So I got almost all the angle flashing in today. I'd been in a bit of pain, not sure if there was a rock in my shoe since around 2:30 but I wanted to get this done so I can prep to paint the interior (tomorrow I can't work as I am judging a local comp and I like the organizer so I want to help out as much as possible). So I worked through it until now (around 6:15 PM) when the pain was just too much to bear. I looked at the bottom of my shoe and found I had been stepping on a screw for the past 3+ hours. Whoops.

LrIZZYA.jpg

I guess I better deal with this before I can finish. The spot I'm at really needs a 2nd person. Luckily I have Reagor on the way on Sunday...

Back