DIY Stainless Steel Thermowell / bottling wand / sparge arm :dohicky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flomaster

Reaction score
so it has come to my attention I would like to have my temperature probe inside of my fermenting vessel

well Amazon.com is a gold mine for cheap SS tubing with FREE SHIPPING for PRIME members.

They have shorter lengths of tubing as well.
3/16" OD x 60" long $4.82

1/4" OD x 60" Long $4.97

5/16" OD x 60" Long $7.29

1/2" x 72" 316L $13.49

my plan for my better bottle thermowell.

I use Orange Arrowhead bottle caps for my PET bottles with Blow off Tubes.
IMG_20110307_192331.jpg

my plan is to use a 1/4" barb fitting with the barb poking into the carboy through the cap, use a short piece of tubing to attach the SS thermowell to my barb fitting.

you could also use a stopper and drill a hole for the thermowell

now since you have so much left over why not put it to good use... SS racking cane? SS bottling wand? SS manifold for Mash Tun ? Sparge arm?

the possibilities are endless

I personally am buying 3/16" x 60 1/4" x 60" and 1/2" x 72" just because for $13 and free shipping how do you say no? $23.28 shopping cart with free shipping and 192" of SS tubing = TRI-WINNING with extra Tiger Blood

contribute suggestions on how YOU going to use it.

here is the $21 ETC thermowell stopper, so do you think its worth the price plus shipping or do you want to make your own?
stopper1.jpg

-=Jason=-

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one.

They have these at Northern for about 27 bucks but in the description they say "Not compatible with Better Bottles".

Anyone know why?

Nice one.

They have these at Northern for about 27 bucks but in the description they say "Not compatible with Better Bottles".

Anyone know why?

probably the stopper is not the Better Bottle sized stopper. but I found Orange arrowhead water bottle caps fit nice and tight like a virgin on prom night and I have room to fashion a blow off tube AND thermowell into it.

get creative and drill out your own stopper,

-=Jason=-

This is amazing. I was planning on buying a thermowell from Darrin over at brewershardware.com, but the price and the additional shipping cost really was pushing me away. I love the quality I would get from him, but it's just not for me when I can make my own for a lot cheaper.

I sure hope I wasn't the only one who swooped up on this amazon.com tubing. because well the prices have pretty much tripled from what they were when I posted this.

-=Jason=-

Latest posts

Back