DIY Spike Conical Extension Legs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any engineers or DIY'ers out there have some ideas for replicating the extension legs for a Spike Brewing conical?

https://spikebrewing.com/collections/conical-accessories/products/leg-extensions
I can get casters with a male threaded rod pretty cheap, but I want to make sure whatever legs I build have the strength to handle the weight of the full conical. I know I could just build a small wood table with casters, but I really like the idea of having tons of room under the conical for sight glass and yeast harvesting.

Also, I already have the Spike bracing shelf to help with stability.

Not sure what you're asking for. Are you asking for an estimate of the wall thickness of round tube? My guess is its the same thickness as the tube on the fixed legs. (.0625" up to .125")

If you're after the same look as the Spike extensions, just buy the spike extensions. For $100, it's not worth the time and effort to source polished stainless tube, threaded rod, nut inserts, and not have to do anything (and I have TIG welder and full metal shop)

If you're looking for an alternative that performs the same function, build a frame out of 4x4's and secure your conical to that. I'd be real concerned with having something so top heavy attached to casters. Seems like it would want to fall over real bad if your intention is to mimic the Spike risers (not that I like them to begin with)

Why not build an elevated wood frame to mount both of them onto with an open below access (like a out house). You can call it the Trub Dumper! Make millions...

I am actually making my own with aluminum base with leg pockets mounted on top casters on bottom. I want something I can lift the empty fermenter out of and set it in the bathtub. Will post pics when completed

Back