DIY solution for non-flat pot on glass cooktop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schilk

Reaction score
I have a glass cooktop and my boil pot (5 gal), isn't perfectly flat so the heat transfer isn't ideal. It will eventually reach a roiling boil, but it takes forever and will only do so with the lid on. The center of the pot is a little higher than the outer inch of the bottom of the pot, so it doesn't make direct contact with the heating element. I just got the pot and it is the perfect size, good strong handles that don't get hot, etc so I would like to use it and am thinking of cutting a disc of sheet metal to fit the circular inset in the bottom of the pot, and putting this disc underneath the pot on top of the burner. I am wondering if anyone has tried this or something similar.

I just bought a new 5 gallon pot. Flat bottom was mandatory. Held out until I found one.

Don't have a quick fix for you though.

I don't think a sheet metal spacer will quite do it if it isn't clad to the bottom of the pot.

All the Best,
D. White

Yeah, I am thinking that would not be too ideal..Heat transfer..Would probably take even longer to get to that rolling boil you need..
Go shopping and scour through all the pots of your desired size until you find one with a perfectly flat bottom..I did that when I got my 8 Qt pot from WalMart, looked at like 10 of them before I found a perfectly flat bottom..Daughter who was with at the time thought I was being 'nutty'..LOL

Back