DIY Single Tier RIMS Brewstand for $500.00?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digitizer101

Reaction score
I have been working on upgrading my system for a long time now and thought it was time to move to a single tier automated system.

I did not want to spend a fortune on the system I really wanted to stay under $500.00 (It is going to be close!)

When I started this project I knew that I wanted a welded stand not a bolted together stand. I had already built a wood stand and was ready for something new.

Not being a welder or owning a welder made me think this was going to be impossible or very expensive.

Well a few youtube videos later and a couple of trips to goodwill and what do you know I built my own welder. (But that's a story for another forum)

With a welder of sort in hand and zero experience I started collecting bed frames. Yeah I checked on stainless tube pricing first but that was not in the budget!

The list below is currently still under $500.00 and my hope is to keep it under, but I am at road block and need some help. I have everything needed except for the gas solenoids. I had no idea they would cost so much any ideas?

Cost_Sheet.jpg

i didn't think it could be done - i spent well over double that for my stand - but i did all stainless and with two new pumps. congrats on scoring a March for $50! i assume you're going to use the March to move wort, and the 12v for water?

that vinyl hose is rated up to 170*F, so be careful about that. i'd be afraid of leeching above that temp.

please post pix!

edit: thanks for the pix. looks great! :mug:

Thanks sweetcell, I will keep that in mind when using the vinyl hose. May have to look into some silicon replacements. And yes I will be using the march pump on the wort end and the 12v just for hot water.

I found some good deals this weekend that could bring the cost of this down even more.

The gas line I used for my burners cost me $96.00 for 4 gas lines but I could have purchased this instead. and it would have only been $78.00 not a huge savings but every bit counts. I would have only need 2 instead of four.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Valves-dual-stainless-braided/dp/B007PS08VG/ref=pd_sim_lg_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RRJ1081TM4CDVCMGM7H

41I9ZkqHXvL.jpg

The ones I used where these.

050904032454.jpg

I also found 3 queen size bed frames this weekend at goodwill for 6 bucks a piece.

May make a second stand just for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and bought the gas solenoids.

AC 110V 1/2" N/C Solenoid Valve for Gas Water and Air INU

solenoid.JPG

2 at $21.77 that brings the total to $501.42

So close to staying under $500.00 If only I could have found the cheap gas lines and bed frames before I started!

Thanks

So, I have started a second stand for a friend and this time I think I am going to make a few changes. Most likely I am going to change to a RIMS system and forget the middle burner.

Here are a few pictures from New Years Day.

This is the welded stand from Bed Frames
BrewStand.jpg

Here is a shoot of the gusset added for the casters.
BrewStandFeet.jpg

I will try and post more pictures as I go.

Well a few youtube videos later and a couple of trips to goodwill and what do you know I built my own welder. (But that's a story for another forum)

I came here for the brewstand, but honestly, I'm now more interested in this!

I came here for the brewstand, but honestly, I'm now more interested in this!

Well I haven't posted any videos about how I made my welder yet but I started at this youtube video and the rest was history.

This guy does a good job of walking through the basics but you may need to look around for more videos for details.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Added a copper coil to the HLT to eliminate the need for the middle burner.

Coil.JPG

HLTtop.JPG

HLT.JPG

I know what your saying this is no longer a 500.00 build with nearly 25 feet of 1/2" flexible copper and all those attachments.

Well you would be correct copper is not cheap unless you reuse an old immersion chiller! Then it is just the cost of the connectors.

I am a little stuck on the wiring of the whole system right now I need to review before I wire everything up.

Thanks

When I saw the title "single tier" I thought vertical. Am I wrong? Nice work, Im going to pick up a welder my pops is giving me, this thread gives me motivation..

I am thinking of using an always on pilot. I have not got that far yet.

I am working out a similar system too. My current thoughts are to have an always on pilot light, a valve to turn it on and off, and a pilot sensor to ensure the pilot is lit. If it isn't then the controller won't turn on the main gas at all and an alarm will trigger.

I am in similar situation. Just built my first stand with thought of eventually automating. Did first direct fire recirc brew last weekend with long tip lighter and manual flame control and really interested in pursuing automation. I am really surprised at the cost to automate direct fire that I am running up against.

Back