Diy rims mlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
So my cooler MLT just bit the dust. I am interested in using a kettle as a mash tun and recirculating the wort through the mash. I do not have a lot of money and these systems can get expensive. So here is my thought:
1) a 14 gal SS economy kettle with two welded couplers, and brewmometer in one and ball valve in the other.
2) the lower hole in the kettle will have a bazooka screen it (for the wort to be drawn through), but I will place a longer bulkhead/coupler on the bazooka screen so it is actually picking up in near the center of the bottom of the kettle,
3) silicone tubing will run from the kettle to the chugger pump, and then more silicone tubing will run from the pump over the top of the kettle and lay atop the grainbed where it will gently redistribute the wort in a gentle whirlpool fashion (much like brewmagic does),
4) I plan to have the MLT on a burner and just monitor the temperature of the thermometer and adjust the flame manually/continually to maintain the temperature (I would preheat the water before adding the grain, so it wouldnt be on there for along time to scorch before recirculating).

I know it sounds like a lot of work manually adjusting, but it I have a lot of beers to brew before the fall, and I do not want to use a cooler again, and this seems like my only option I can really afford. That said, I do have some concerns about wort scorching with the direct heat and no false bottom, and also using a less expensive, thinner SS pot. But my hope is that the grainbed will stay suspended enough to avoid grain being scorched and that the recirculation will prevent the wort from being scorched (is a thicker pot and/or false bottom absolutely necessary?). Any advice or thoughts, experience, etc. is much appreciated. If I do not hear anything, I might just give it a shot and let you know how it goes. I will probably eventually turn this into a HERMS system or something a little more sophisticated when I have some more cash, but this allows me to play with recirculation to get used to it for now and also allows me keep brewing in the meantime. Thanks!

Insulate your SS MLT as much as possible - including the lid. It should work almost as well as your cooler.

Try to get a false bottom for your MLT. There is no suspension of the grainbed. If you use a bazooka for a manifold the grain will be on the bottom of the pot.

I'd be a little leary of direct heating without a false bottom as stlbeer said. Also, you'll want to monitor the temp of your returning wort, It can take a while for the mounted thermo (especially if it has a shorter probe) to register the actual grain bed temp.

I'd be a little leary of direct heating without a false bottom as stlbeer said. Also, you'll want to monitor the temp of your returning wort, It can take a while for the mounted thermo (especially if it has a shorter probe) to register the actual grain bed temp.

I am going to add a false bottom; I am also going to insulate so that I can heat as little as possible. BUT how do I monitor the returning wort temp without breaking the bank? Maybe I can have my floating thermometer sitting on top of the mash as well as the mounted thermo? Another way?

Back