DIY Oak cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Doe

adrbrewer
Reaction score
If you happen to have a bunch of Oak on hand, can you heat this in the oven to sanitize and use?
Likely wont have a chance to do this anytime soon, but was wondering.

Yes, that will work, but....there are many different kinds of oak,
you don't want to use red oak.
Jack Daniels brand chips for smoking meat are in the grocery store, are fairly cheap and are made from old whiskey barrels. I soak them in bourbon before using.

I enjoy cutting and splitting wood so I have all sorts of wood to experiment with. I was even thinking about wrapping a piece in foil and setting it next to a fire to get some char on it.
I think I'll give it a try when the weather breaks.

I enjoy cutting and splitting wood so I have all sorts of wood to experiment with. I was even thinking about wrapping a piece in foil and setting it next to a fire to get some char on it.
I think I'll give it a try when the weather breaks.
We would like to hear the results of those experiments

Red oak can add some astringent flavors, so avoid that. White oak (which is commonly used to make whisky barrels) is a much better choice. Cut it up in small cubes and experiment with toasting. Soak some cubes in a small amount of your favorite whisky for a few weeks and taste the whisky. What you taste may give you a basic idea what it will impart to your beer.

Back