DIY Networked Arduino Dual stage temp. controller w/ logging/graphing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got the Arduino connected to its network shield. I also got an RGB LCD to display the Target Temp and the Actual Temp. I wrote some code to change the LCD backlight to Red, Green, or Blue based on whether the controller was Heating, Just right, or Cooling so that I could tell at a glance what the thing was doing...
More to come as I get time.
(Continued....)

genius build - looking forward to the bread crumbs manual for putting this together to follow along this trail...
I have installed php and mysql before when I stitched together my phpnuke site years ago.
Things have changed a bit since then I think... lol
Seriously though great ideas here... I love the color idea too its perfect for my sideXside in the garage through a glass door from my office seat.

FuzzeWuzze- I really flipped out over your idea too but was kicked in the gut at the end there - what a bummer they bailed. This seems like a great way to acheive everything we might want to do too - gawd I love opensource!

timdsmith72, Nice work! I've been looking for something that allows you to monitor and control temps for awhile. Looks like I'm going to have to try this!

A couple of questions for you, what size of enclosure did you use? Also I'm planning on powering a chest freezer with this, are the 10A relays enough? I believe that when the compressor starts up it can drawn more than 10 amps.

timdsmith72, Nice work! I've been looking for something that allows you to monitor and control temps for awhile. Looks like I'm going to have to try this!

A couple of questions for you, what size of enclosure did you use? Also I'm planning on powering a chest freezer with this, are the 10A relays enough? I believe that when the compressor starts up it can drawn more than 10 amps.

The stc1000 uses 10a relays, so it will be fine

The enclosure is roughly 8x5x3. It's not a Radio Shack enclosure, I got it from a little electronics shop. A radio shack enclosure of roughly the same size should work fine.

I use a chest freezer as well. The 10A relays will be fine.
As FuzzeWuzze says, the STC1000 uses 10A relays. I used one of those for a couple of years with no issues.

The original project is almost identical to what I started last winter, but didn't get it finished before a cross-country move. I'm still trying to put together the brewery.

I was using COSM (now Xively) for the logging. I'll may use some ov these ideas discussed here when I get back to it.

Back