DIY Mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTolino

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my brewing equipment and was thinking about making my own mash tun. I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask if anyone knew of how to go about it, or if there were any websites I should visit. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

dennybrew.com

It covers batch sparging too. search manifold and you will see all different options to using the stainless steel braid.

Check the project locator sticky at the top of this subforum. You can find a link to the DIY mashtun most of us here use

Thanks guys, I'm looking at a 25 gallon cooler right now

The round coolers are more likely to be called out in sizes by gallon. The rectangular ones are usually quarts. You're better off searching for a 100 Qt mash tun. Same size. Better search results.:)

I'm looking to do 20 gallons in a single swing. The cooler I'm looking at is 100 quarts, it's a square cooler. My family just opened their winery, and in a few years they are moving into a larger facility, and we are thinking about turning the old space into a micro brewery, so I'm workin my way up.

The start of my new mash tun, 150 quarts, 37.5 gallons.

image-2399742640.jpg

image-477766073.jpg

Haha I won't have to upgrade for a while. I've got to dig around for a 20-30 gallon boil pot, and a bigger fermenter

Anybody have experience batch sparging with a 150 QT. cooler? I also am interested in this type of build.

I just bought a kit from my local brew store to convert this cooler into a mash tun, and of course the stainless steel balk head isn't long enough. It needs to be a 1/2 inch longer. I was also thinking about adding a sparge apparatus to the cooler lid out of pvc pipe.

Back