DIY Insulated Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used my insulated mash tun multiple times now, and it works very well.

The only thing I haven't been happy with was the return. I finally settled on a stainless steel colander to help distribute the water evenly over the grain bed.

I had a keg lid left over from my last keggle build, so I trimmed it down to fit the Mash Tun, and secured it to the lid using two 6-32 stainless steel screws and nuts:
colander.png

And then added the appropriate hardware to connect to the lid of the sparge return:
SpargeReturn.png

The Tee Connector will allow me to add a thermowell or sampling faucet.

We'll see how it works next time I brew.

^^^^

Very true! Data collected for heat loss using just water is meaninglesss IMHO. A mash will behave very differently, and a large mash will behave differently than a small mash.

It has to do with thermal mass. The bigger the mass, the slower the heat exchange with the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It has to do with thermal mass. The bigger the mass, the slower the heat exchange with the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, but I also feel that a mash is stagnant and will not thermally circulate inside the tun.

Sorry been a few years since I was schooled, so my terminology is lacking. Perhaps a mash acts more like a solid rather than a liquid?

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back