DIY immersion wort chiller and pre-chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbear

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing and have made some capital investment into some decent brewing equipment for 5 gallon batches including a 40 qt stainless kettle, glass carboys, etc. However, having a fabrication and machining background I couldn't stomach paying for something that I could build myself. Also, I was underwhelmed by most of the chillers I saw online. I'm not a big fan of the loose "slinky" feel of most chillers. I understand that they can be stretched or compressed to fit various brew pots and volumes of wort, but I wanted to make a more rigid design to fit my pot. Similar to most designs, I used 1/4" ID (3/8" OD) copper tubing to make the coil but also added an inner coil to increase total coil length and to distribute the cooling surface a to the interior of the pot as well. The coils are soldered (silver solder, no lead) to the inlet and outlet runs to make the chiller rigid. I also added a handle for easier handling.

I also knew that I would likely need a pre chiller coil especially in the summer months when my tap water is warmer. I used a similar strategy to make a pre chiller using 1/2" ID copper to fit a standard 32 qt cooler. Filled the cooler with water and ice (no salt needed) and turned on faucet while very gently swirling the chiller in a circular motion in the boil pot to increase flow across the tubing. Chilled 5.5 gallon batch of boiling wort to room temperature in just under 5 min. Needless to say I was very pleased with the result. If I make some in the future I would replace the wooden handle with a plastic or composite one as it does take on moisture and heat during boiling. Also will likely replace the hose barbs with some type of quick connect but this should be easy as the inlet and outlet tubes have 1/4" NPT threaded fittings.

Sorry about the fuzzy pics.

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

Perfect! thats what i'm planning as well...now to buy some copper...
The bends* with the oval one for the prechiller, it looks like it may have had 2 round objects tied to each other and wrapped them around that, either way it looks good!

Wow they are fantastic. Would really love to have your workmanship. I am trying to make a coil for a HERMs system in my HLT but it looks like it got hit by a train.

Yes very nice bending indeed. How did you bend them so cleanly and even? Looks great

- ISM NRP
I made the inner coil by wrapping the tubing around a 3" piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe. I used a spring coil manual bender but it's probably not necessary at is not a big deal if the coil flattens out a bit. The tubing really keeps its shape well when wrapped to that diameter, much more so than with the larger coil. I then put the smaller coil inside of a 12" piece of pipe being held in a vise and wrapped the larger coil back over the inner. I avoided using one sweat fitting by doing this but in hindsight I would have just rolled the to coils independent of one another and sweat them together with fittings. I think the outer coil would have come out a lot nicer if I did. Anyway, I straightened and spaced them as best I could and soldered place. If I ever make few more of these I'll look online for the 1/4" id fittings as they were pretty pricey at my local plumbing shop as they are rarely used as most AC work involves just bending smaller copper rather than using fittings.

Perfect! thats what i'm planning as well...now to buy some copper...
The bends* with the oval one for the prechiller, it looks like it may have had 2 round objects tied to each other and wrapped them around that, either way it looks good!
You're right... Wrapped the copper around a couple of large pipe sections tacked to a welding table rather than using several 90 degree elbows. Soldered piece of #6 copper ground wire to sides to hold shape and spacing.

Back