DIY beer color analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgross

Reaction score
My big projects over the last 5 years have been a closet yeast lab, and automating my 10 gallon system. The lab I finished 3 years ago and as of
last weekend there is a check in the box on the automation.

I was googling to decide on my next project and came across
http://store.publiclab.org/

What a neat idea! I'm thinking of asking Santa for a spectrometer kit. Is anyone doing this? Has done this? I am sure there must be some biology/chemistry beer nerds out there there that use their lab equipment on their beer (I happen to be a mathematician beer nerd, so no free access to million dollar toys for me!)

Can anyone offer a point in the right direction for using such a DIY spectrometer to analyze homebrew?

For the price these are some pretty darn awesome toys, er, tools!

My expensive X-Rite spectrophotometer (for monitor and print calibration) should be able to multi-purpose like that <wishful thinking>.

I think a lot depends on how the driver and software manipulate the raw data into something sensible for us, humans and beer brewers alike.

If you have the attachment for calibration of projectors then yes but as it is your device is a reflection photometer only and you need one that can measure transmitted light.

If you can come up with an instrument that can make a calibrated absorption measurement in 1 cm at 430 nm you can do SRM. It is just 12.7 times the 1 cm absorption at that wavelength. If you can measure absorption from 380 - 780 nm you can do tristimulus color measurement and spectral deviation coefficient measurement (SRM plus a couple of SDCs).

I saw other diy spectrophotometer somewhere that uses a 430nm led.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

I've experimented with those and found that you can measure SRM quite accurately if you put a 430 nm filter between the led and the detector. Absent that the bandwidth of the diode is too big and some (but not a lot) of error gets introduced. I started off with the idea of putting together a simple kit using a programmable chip but that idea sort of went by the wayside when I could not find a source for a cheap filter.

Back