Automated Herms setup, pointers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moijk

Reaction score
Intro:
I've just been a beer drinker for a few years. My neighbor introduced me after 3.5 decades of thinking it tasted like cat piss. Now I have yet to try cat piss so I can't say I was proved wrong, but at least I got the taste for the rich dark versions (porters, stouts and imperial stouts) and the fruity light ones (like witbeer with added flavor) and IPA with its rich hop taste. but still not too found of the lagers that most drink here.

anyway, my neighbor has a brewer he and a friend of his made and it works well, but it's limited in size so my stouts require double mashing / reiterated mashing (think those are the english terms for it) and that takes a lot of time with kids and all. not that I brew often, but I wish to do it more.

So I started to plan my own brewery and I liked the circulation idea his has when mashing. but I wanted to avoid the fear of getting on the wrong side of a circulation flow where the heating kettle has an exposed heating element. So reading about Herms was appealing. I like structure and I really liked the way the herms setups guides the flow of everything from water to wort around between the kettles. Plus with my home made setup it makes perfect sense.

Question:
But googling around I see a lot of projects in various stages. From setups that uses 6 valves to those who use 12. I'm in particular interested in setups that have incorporated cleaning stages, but I'm curious in all. I have only access to cold water from where I brew but I could use boiled water and/or circulate with starsan and/or steam. I have no idea what's best, or whats feasable. My experience on the subject is only from my days on my parents farm Does anyone have projects or pointers that have been successful? So I can have a starting point to my own.

I plan to brew 30-60l and heat with about 3500kw (what my fuse can take, so I could preboil on gas to speed up) on the HLT with BK on gas. I'd love to automate the BK boiling as well, but I have no idea if that works well. don't want to cut the gas and start without a flame for a subsequent house fire ;) (well, will be well ventilated, but still)

I'm pretty fresh with everything herms related and have never actually used one so excuse if I seem to completly have mistaken something. But I wish to have a plan ready by the end of the summer. I'm a developer by trade, so how to control everything automated is not my biggest concern. :)

Back