DIY Automated Systems - What are the Options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theminor

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the new automatic brewing systems that are coming out: the PicoBrew, the Brewie, and the BrewBot to name a few. They look amazing and I'd love to buy any of them. But I'm having a hard time stomaching the cost, particularly since these are all new products. I've always liked taking the DIY route and have been considering building my own version of one of these systems. I'm wondering if someone here has already done something like that. I've done some browsing through this sub-forum and I see lots of systems that look appealing, but it would be nice to know what is out there - maybe someone has a setup already in a thread somewhere, with plans, links to parts, etc.? (Probably wishful thinking, I know!)

Alternatively, what are some good resources for building an automated system - maybe something not so compact and sleek, but something that covers the process more or less automatically. It would be a fun project.

Thanks in advance for any insights...

If you haven't already take a look at theelectricbrewery.com. Kal has done an amazing job at documenting his build and provides products if you want to opt out of parts of the build process. There are lots of variations to his system around here in the different build threads. His system doesn't have full blown automation but is a great starting point. Beyond that there are countless build threads in the electric and DIY forums.

In terms of adding automation it really comes down to how automated do you want it to be. I still like being a participant in the brewing process but I don't want to be hovering over a burner adjusting the gas constantly to maintain a temperature so I have a partially automated setup.

You also need to decide if you want to go with an off the shelf brew controller or DIY that yourself. There are standalone controllers like the BCS and brewtroller that need to be intigreated into a control panel. There are other controllers out there that don't require you to build up the control panel. Additionally you can buy a BCS control panel from ebrewsupply.com or a kit that you can assemble.

Your general question is very open ended and hard to pin point without knowing more about your expectations of the system and the level of automation you are trying to achieve.

In addition how much space are you looking for this to consume. Wil you be brewing outside or in an apartment. This makes a huge difference in the type and/size of the system.

How automated do you want to get? You can do something like PID controls where your temperature is controlled, and everything else is manual (like Kal's system). You can take it a step further with something like the BCS-460 (ebrewsupply.com is a great resource, Ryan is super helpful). The BCS-460/462 allow more control points, monitoring and navigation through a web interface, and the ability to "build" a brew day where the system can progress through it automatically or with minimal input from you. You can also control all the set points manually.

If you want to do it cheap my recomendation would be to build a PID controlled system using one of the designs from this thread. I would do a BIAB system with a recirculation pump so you just have to pull the grain bag, switch it to boil, and add the hops at the appropriate intervals.

How automated do you want to get? You can do something like PID controls where your temperature is controlled, and everything else is manual (like Kal's system). You can take it a step further with something like the BCS-460 (ebrewsupply.com is a great resource, Ryan is super helpful). The BCS-460/462 allow more control points, monitoring and navigation through a web interface, and the ability to "build" a brew day where the system can progress through it automatically or with minimal input from you. You can also control all the set points manually.

If you want to do it cheap my recomendation would be to build a PID controlled system using one of the designs from this thread. I would do a BIAB system with a recirculation pump so you just have to pull the grain bag, switch it to boil, and add the hops at the appropriate intervals.

Thanks - great suggestions, all! I will study these links. The BIAB systems and others linked would be a huge improvement on my current brew setup for sure.

I'm still wondering about the inner workings of the all-in-one brew systems like the PicoBrew and Brewie. A homemade version of those devices would be very cool.

Thanks again for the resources!

This looks great, actually. One thing I'm trying to figure out - and I'm not sure I need to clog up that thread with such a basic question - where do you get the temperature probes (DS18 probes) that are compatible with that setup and that are waterproof and can be drilled into the side of a kettle?

I think you basically buy a thermowell for it and put the temp probe in there.

Back