DIY: 15 Minute Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been searching for all kinds of options for making or buying a grain mill. I make 10 G batches, so a corona mill didn't seem like a good option if I could not adjust the crush. And $180 seemed to much for a barley crusher type mill (not to mention customs and shipping).

I made a mill in 15 mins. The rollers were $9 each, with about $6 in misc. metal fasteners, and scrap plywood.

So, I took some good advice and went to Princess Auto and bought two 18 inch long 2.5" diameter magentic rollers that had a slight gnarl to them.

Here is how I made it:

Adjusted the crush by putting two 3/64" drill bits as spacers. I then tapped the axles with a hammer to get an indent in the wood. I drilled as per the indentations. I cut two pieces to the same length and used the existing holes as pilot holes for the other board. I then took 4 metal fasteners that fitted the axles and tapped into the holes. I inserted the rollers into the metal holes and then fastened the two boards with some more wood. The rollers are now boxed between the boards....Then I hooked up the drill.

And guess what ....it works !!! The crush is almost identical to the posted picture by the Rocq. Rocq did a great job - excellent workmanship !

So, I could use mine in a pinch...but this was just the mock-up. My spacing was off...it actually turned out to be 1/16"....mine also didn't have a hopper and was not adjustable. I also got some slivers:D

I encourage anyone who can...and who is cheap like me to try this set up. (and of course improve on it).

I will use HD plastic for my real mill, router out the holes, and of course make a hopper. I will also make it adjustable. I was thinking of fastening the rollers so the are on separate pieces of plastic. The drill roller will be firmly attached to the base. The dead roller will then slide slightly along 2 parallel and horizontal pins. Very thin washers will then act as spacers. Once I get the required spacing, I will then fasten the dead roller set up to the base.

Cheers.

Maybe some explanation of what these 'rollers' are because I can't find them on the princess auto site. I'd love to do something like this on the cheap.

Yeah ok we need part numbers and such, pics etc so I can make one to :). ~$30 adjustable grain mill is way cheap.

Sounds good, but I don't understand why you can't adjust a corona mill crush. I can adjust mine easily. Works great!

Here is the Princess Auto Part #: 8033920 17.5 in X 2.5 in Magnetic rollers $8.91 ea. They are in the surplus section - maybe not in all stores as surplus may vary by region.

I used this to hold the axles - form home depot: 232227 Tee nut-long prong. Basically a piece of metal that that nicely fits the axle and has prongs to tap or squeeze into the wood. I drilled the holes ( maybe 7/16") into the wood and put it into a vise to squeeze it in.

If someone PMs me with an email address, I'll send some pics to upload since I don't have the ability.

Cheers.

Axegod said:
If someone PMs me with an email address, I'll send some pics to upload since I don't have the ability.

You can post them to any free photo hosting site (such as flickr for instance) and then paste the link here using the insert image button. Takes a bit of effort but would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the pics from Axegod...

Picture%20001.jpg

Picture%20003.jpg

Picture%20008.jpg

Picture%20009.jpg

Axegod said:
Here is the Princess Auto Part #: 8033920 17.5 in X 2.5 in Magnetic rollers $8.91 ea. They are in the surplus section - maybe not in all stores as surplus may vary by region.

So, anyone in the U.S. have an equivalent auto part supplier?

Thanks again.

Sorry the grain pic is a little blury.

Here is some details: The axle holder is in one photo. Correction, the part number from the last post is actually from Rona, not home depot.

The green painting tape show were a 1/16" drill bit that measures the gap between the rollers. 1/16" is 0.0625". I wanted 3/64 (or 0.048") for a better crush.

As you can see, this mock up mill works. I didn't really measure anything -I just eyeballed it. I could still use it as is if need be.

Hopefully in a week I can post the real workmanship photos once the "A" model is done. But you gotta love something that took 15 mins and less than $30.00.

Cheers.

knights of Gambrinus said:
So, anyone in the U.S. have an equivalent auto part supplier?
Time to start checking around I guess. I can't imagine why an auto parts store would carry these. Any idea what they're used for?

Lil' Sparky said:
Time to start checking around I guess. I can't imagine why an auto parts store would carry these. Any idea what they're used for?
Princess Auto is actually much more than an auto parts store. They sell construction equipment, hydraulics, all sorts of tools, agricultural equipment, and surplus goods. They even have food processing equipment, and occasionally one will find things like Corona-style grain mills (for $15!) and used Corny kegs (for $20). It's actually a bizarre store, but their prices are dirt cheap. They are also uniquely Canadian, and when I lived in the US for a while, I never saw anything similar.

Lil' Sparky said:

I think they may be from a assembly line roller. The thing that makes them good is the gnarl and the magnet that adds weight. The gnarl is about the same as you would find on a weight barbell. I don't know if a lighter, hollow tube that is smooth would produce good results.

Here is the contact info for the Whitby location where I found these: perhaps they can ship these.

[email protected]

Princess Auto - WHITBY
1550 Victoria Street E
L1N 9W7
Ph: (905) 665-8581
Fax: (905) 665-5949
TollFree: 1-877-725-8581

Cheers.

Axegod said:
I think they may be from a assembly line roller. The thing that makes them good is the gnarl and the magnet that adds weight. The gnarl is about the same as you would find on a weight barbell. I don't know if a lighter, hollow tube that is smooth would produce good results.

Got it.

A quick google search places most of these in the UK, India or Europe...

*sigh* Either the US has lost its edge again -or- they cause cancer.:confused:

How about these from McMaster: 2276T71 2" OD x 10" L Aluminum $8.40

A machine shop could put a knurl on them for you pretty cheaply, I bet. McMaster also has stainless and plain steel.

I'm surprised you can turn 17.5" rollers with your cordless drill and get any grain crushing accomplished.

My 12" rollers bog a big 1/2" chuck corded drill down, and even my 1/2 HP motor geared down at a 4:1 reduction tends to work pretty hard when the hopper is full.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm surprised you can turn 17.5" rollers with your cordless drill and get any grain crushing accomplished.

My 12" rollers bog a big 1/2" chuck corded drill down, and even my 1/2 HP motor geared down at a 4:1 reduction tends to work pretty hard when the hopper is full.

maybe because of the light knurl it takes 17.5" to grip the grain to pull it through as a rough knurl 8" roller set up so it ends up slipping on some grains a little bit?

McMaster-Carr catalog, page 1178 has conveyor rollers in lots of different size capacities up to 350 lb, widths from 9 inches up, for around $7 to $25 per. Stainless is available too, but for a lot more.

Onescalerguy said:
Your crush looks awful course IMO.
Cheers

I was able to get a finer crush on my permanent set-up...same building method - just spent more time setting everything. It actually turned out where one end of the roller was ever so slightly closer to the other....I pour the grains onto the rollers with a empty pitcher....i thought the the rollers not being 100% parallel was bad until i needed to crush some wheat....and needed the samller gap -so I poured on the tighter side. :) Funny how things sometimes work out.

Cheers.

How about handles from gym equipment - steel, heavy duty, knurled tubes. Weld in an axle, away you go....

Dave

My corona mill is adjustable just have to manually tighten or loosen the bolt on the back of it and then adjust the tention pin...

Me too My Corona grinder adjusts perfectly
I put a screw in the end where the handle was with the head cut off of it
and lock onto that with an adjustable speed 3/8 drill to grind with
Works like a champ
I put a shallow box under it with a u shape knocked out the side where the grinder
can fit
It's a little messy but the crush of the grain is excellent

Back