Dividing Up A 5 Gallon Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notixx

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing small batches (1 Gallon) and refining my process.

My LHBS has 5 Gallon Northern Brewer ingredient kits.

I'm assuming i could buy this kit and divide this up and brew 5 separate 1 Gallon batches without an issue. Would there be any issues with doing this?

I guess you could, you would just need a scale to weigh out the hop additions you need from the kit. Also, depending on how often you brew, there is a risk of oxidizing the hops by the time you get to the last batch but if you keep them in the freezer in an oxygen-barrier bag they should keep. Are these extract batches? Is the extract pre-mixed? How are you planning on dividing it up? What about specialty grains? Are you just going to mix them up thoroughly and divide it by 5?

It's an all grain kit I do believe. I already store hops in my freezer with no issue. And yes I would mix the grains well and decide by 5

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think the only issue here is yeast storage (since I figure this means you'll have an open container at some point), just be careful and clean with that, and don't let it sit around for ages before you brew the last gallon, and you're good.

But I think I'd rather die than mash the same beer five times.

But I think I'd rather die than mash the same beer five times.

Good thing you don't work in a brewery. :)

I was thinking along those lines too though. As long as you're going to buy a 5-gallon kit, why not brew it all? You're quadrupling the amount of time it would take compared to brewing it all at once. Isn't the idea behind brewing one-gallon batches to increase the variety you have available?

Good thing you don't work in a brewery. :)

I was thinking along those lines too though. As long as you're going to buy a 5-gallon kit, why not brew it all? You're quadrupling the amount of time it would take compared to brewing it all at once. Isn't the idea behind brewing one-gallon batches to increase the variety you have available?

eh, right now it's more so to practice my process and dial in any reoccurring errors. So brewing the same beer 5 times in a row would actually be somewhat ideal.

Best way to swim is to jump right in the water! Same with beer. Except you don't swim in it. Unless.

Back