disturbing the yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cageybee

Reaction score
is jarring the yeast cake a bit a problem? was moving the carboy so that I could rack it to secondary per the recipe, and it slipped a bit and I loosened up the yeast cake.....

is jarring the yeast cake a bit a problem? was moving the carboy so that I could rack it to secondary per the recipe, and it slipped a bit and I loosened up the yeast cake.....

won't hurt it. there's a reason why homebrewers say, "relax, don't worry"; you really gotta TRY to ruin beer to ruin it.

some would question the need to secondary at all, unless dry hopping, adding fruit, adding oak or extended aging.

how long has it been in primary? if you are going to secondary, leaving it sit and settle a couple days or a couple weeks won't hurt.

Nope. It's fine.

You might want to avoid jostling it right before you bottle, but that's only so you don't get suspended yeast into the bottling bucket. Even if you do, it won't hurt the beer - it'll only make for a little more sediment in the bottles. All is well. Cheers!

it has been nearly two weeks in primary. should I let it settle back down before racking? I'm not eager to use a secondary except I'm just following the instructions and I want my 6 gallon carboy to start a Belgian IPA

I usually move it an hour or so before I want to rack it. Plenty of time for stuff to settle back down.

it has been nearly two weeks in primary. should I let it settle back down before racking? I'm not eager to use a secondary except I'm just following the instructions and I want my 6 gallon carboy to start a Belgian IPA

take a hydrometer reading, wait a day and take another. if they're the same, fermentation is done and you can bottle at any time.

I would say wait another week to really settle out. but if this is one of your first brews, it's OK to be a little anxious to hurry it along, so instead of secondary, just go ahead and bottle it.

get that Belgian IPA going, establish a pipeline, then you'll be less anxious to hurry your brews along

Back