Dissolved CO2 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNOLA

Reaction score
I brewed the Sweet Stout recipe from Brewing Classic Styles (p.167) a couple of weekends ago and will bottle this weekend. My question concerns dissolved CO2 remaining in the beer post fermentation. The beer fermented in a wine fridge set at 68 degrees for 3 days. Temp was raised to 74 degrees for 8 days. I just removed the carboy from the wine fridge and ambient temp in the house is 78 degrees. Importantly, the wine fridge and the place where the carboy will sit before bottling are on the floor of our raised house. Is there any reason to suspect that the vibrations of me walking around the area where the beer is stored pre-bottling would knock residual CO2 out of solution? Which then would lead to under carbonating when using a priming calculator? Any advice is appreciated.

Maybe. But it's a stout and probably ok if carbonation is just a little low. I did seem to notice that long secondary fermentations always carbed a little low. This could also be that average ambient temperature is not the same as maximum temperature the beer reached post fermentation. Maybe 78 is ambient but one day it hit 80.

Importantly, the wine fridge and the place where the carboy will sit before bottling are on the floor of our raised house. Is there any reason to suspect that the vibrations of me walking around the area where the beer is stored pre-bottling would knock residual CO2 out of solution?
Lots of houses have a crawl space, including mine. I've never heard of this being a problem. If it does have an effect, you will adjust the carbonation level for future batches based on your own experience.

Is there any reason to suspect that the vibrations of me walking around the area where the beer is stored pre-bottling would knock residual CO2 out of solution?

good question, i'm still trying to figure it out myself. i think that being that it doesn't have enough co2 to effervesce, probably not?

If it's a bouncy floor, yeah, you may knock some CO2 out over time. Vibrations can do that.
But how much? Passing through 6x a day or 60x?

I wouldn't sweat it.

If it's a bouncy floor, yeah, you may knock some CO2 out over time. Vibrations can do that.
But how much? Passing through 6x a day or 60x?

I wouldn't sweat it.

hmm, maybe this is why the yeast to like it when i'm looking at my fermenter? and also, to the OP, how do you plan on bottling? i'd imaging a bottling wand or whatever would knock a LOT more co2 out then just passing by?

1603478337608.png

🤔 (unless of course?)

I've never thought much of that. But yeah, any foaming when bottling equals CO2 lost. We don't count for that, do we?

does it even foam if it doesn't allready have more then 1 volume? as far as i saw in a chart. fermentation just gives it 0.8 vol. ~

when i siphon, in open air lol, to my kegs i don't get any foaming? to get 0.8 vol. to foam you'd have to add something that changed the osmotic pressure, or something like that?

i lost my train of thought...but like as far as i've seen with residual dissolved co2, it's kinda like an azeotrope?

Thinking about my question further, the last brew I did was an Irish Red that was under carbonated in my opinion and I was trying to troubleshoot that. The Irish Red was fermented with a kveik yeast (ripped though it in about 3 days) and then sat for about a month before I bottled. Maybe that extended time before bottling was the bigger issue.

it's much easier to slightly overcarb and remove it by pouring quickly than it is to open, re-prime and recap a bunch of bottles.

Back