Disk Cooker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen guys over on thesmokering.com use them. More like a wok than something you'd sear with. I guess I don't really understand how it's different than just a big ass frying pan...

That looks like a disco. A deesco, is how the Texicans say it. They're modeled after pans that were made from plow disks. It's a Mexican wok, but usually thicker than a Chinese wok.

It's also called a discada, which is a meal of chopped meats, veggies and peppers which is cooked in that pan.

That looks like a disco. A deesco, is how the Texicans say it. They're modeled after pans that were made from plow disks. It's a Mexican wok, but usually thicker than a Chinese wok.

It's also called a discada, which is a meal of chopped meats, veggies and peppers which is cooked in that pan.

You, sir, have won the interwebz for this day! I, for one of many, am toasting to your newfound success and will continue to do so until told otherwise or another interwebz master presents remarkable knowledge in such a fashionable manner.

I salute you! :mug:

Those are great! I don't have one, but I'm going to get one. Those are pretty common here in Texas and everywhere. Find a farmer that has old disc plows he might give you one or for a cheap price. Get the biggest you can get, you will need to clean it and season it to make it black. Probably have to weld up axial. Great for vegetables, fajitas and stir fry. Great for warming on the sides , like tortillas. And you can put it on a makeshift burner.

Both my uncles are farmers here in Texas, I have made quite a few of those for friends and family from their old plow discs. They work great for making fajitas, breakfast burritos, stir fry, and fried rice. It's a nice addition to the outdoor kitchen.

Here is a much cheaper version: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWFTJE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you have any farm equipment stores around you can see if they have new discs or if you know some farmers they usually have quite a few of old ones around they would be willing to part with. After that all you need to do is weld up the hole in the middle grind it smooth and weld some handles on it. The handles you can buy rebar and bend it, or a few times I did manage to find handles that would work at Tractor Supply. Takes about 45 min to an hour of work. If you use an old disc it takes a little more time to remove the rust, sandblasting is the fastest, but a wire wheel on a grinder works well also. Then clean it real well and season as if it was a cast iron skillet. Care for it as you would your favorite cast iron skillet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been after Dad to ask one of the farms whos land he hunts for an old disk in order to make one. Yeah it will take some time to do but hey they look cool and can make some amazing food.

Back