discolored kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i have had the same kettle for about 3 years. always took care of it by scrubbing with the green/yellow scotch brite pads. i typically apply bar keepers friend every 3-4 or so batches when scrubbing. noticed a discoloration of a "rainbow effect" on the kettle this last time. never seen this before. anyone know whats going on here?

I believe the rainbow color is from being exposed to high temperatures. If the barkeepers friend isn't working, try lemon juice.

The discoloration is permanent if caused by over heating. Lemon juice is recommended by Calphalon if BF doesn't do the job. Calphalon also recommends a non abrasive sponge for cleaning the stains.

It could be protein buildup - i see it all the time. try a quick rinse with hot pbw to make sure it is not from that first. Then do the lemon juice if it is still there afterwards... Oh and ScotchBrite makes a BLUE backed sponge which are great for stainless. Green backed ones scratch the s#!t out of stainless...

Back