Disc Golf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
So in light of things that go hand in hand with beer, I was curious if there were any other fellow disc golfer-brewers out there.

Personally its one of my favorite things to do on a nice day(when the snow and slush isnt coating the ground), aside from BBQing or fishing.

What are some of your favorite courses? Disc brands and styles? Beers to have on the course?

I drive with an Innova Champion Orc 174g or an Innova Pro Line Valkyrie 170g. I have other assorted mid ranges and putters.

Ive played a few Twin Cities courses, and every course in Rochester, MN. I have yet to venture to courses out of state.

My favorite brew to drink while playing is hands down Harp Lager.

Cant wait for spring to start throwing! :mug:

I'm a disc chucker as well.

I actually played last week when it was 60 degrees. It was nice to get some winter throws in!

I'll be at the Bell's Pro Am this year as well!
As an Am.. And even then, im outskilled ;)

I haven't played in a while, but I plan on getting out on the course again soon. The course here at UNC-Chapel Hill is pretty awesome, I love bringing the dog out there to get some exercise while I'm playing.

I just found out our city put in a course so I'm planning on giving it a try... Unfortunately it is in walking distance from my OLD house but still only a short drive. Just waiting for some better weather.
Jimi

I dabble a bit in Disc Golf. Delaware's State Parks have courses. The one by the beach has lots of dunes, but lots of trees as well. I just bought the Walmart pack of 3 discs... the putter, medium range and long range. I'm not all serious about it, so they work fine for me. I don't drink beer while doing it... not sure why, but I guess I look at it as exercise and tend to reserve beer drinking for evening relaxation. It's a bit cold here now for it, but come springtime, I'll be out there.

mr_stimey said:
What are some of your favorite courses? Disc brands and styles? Beers to have on the course?

I drive with an Innova Champion Orc 174g or an Innova Pro Line Valkyrie 170g.

We have some really nice courses here in Lewisville/Carrollton (North Dallas) Good mix of long shots and hooks.

I use both of those for drivers as well. My bag is full of Innova.

Since there is no Alch on most of the courses around us, we fill up our canteens with Vodka Tonics.

Oh yea, I folf.

SLC has some awesome disc golf courses in the summer. Mainly because a couple are at ski resorts, and you drive down a run. It actually gets hard to see where your disc goes sometimes :). Hole 18 at Solitude is 1200+ft.

In town, I usually play Creekside park, though I don't like it nearly as much as the mountains or as my home course in Boise.

All my discs are innova, unless I find one that's something else. Tee-Birds, Beasts, Dragons, and Orcs

I play a couple times a month usually 2 or 3 rounds when I go. But dont have as much time right now because were in the heat of Ultimate Frisbee season.

I go to all the local courses here in the upstate though there 4 or 5 within a reasonable distance. I also played a course in Augusta, SC/GA which is where they held the disc golf championships a few times.

Use an Innova Champion Orc for Driving and an Innova Star Rhyno for Putting.

I bring whatever I have in the fridge on that day, I might play sunday with some homebrew.

There is a corse about 5min from my house that I play. According to people I have met on there from out of the area it's one of the tougher courses. My only driver is a Championship Tee-Bird.

Awesome good to hear, sounds like weve got a few more disc golfers than I thought! Im hoping to find some courses to throw at while Im in Texas and Virginia this summer so watch out!

I play every now and then here in Atlanta... I am usually throwing Discraft Discs; but I do keep around an Innova Star Monster for big hyzer shots. My go-to driver is the one they gave during the 2007 Discraft Ace Race. Let me know if anyone is around ATL and wants to do some frolfing

I've only played a couple of times, but it is fun.
Played once in Delaware (Killen's Pond-I think), and a few times at French Creek here in PA.

kinison_fan said:
I've only played a couple of times, but it is fun.
Played once in Delaware (Killen's Pond-I think), and a few times at French Creek here in PA.

I like Killen's Pond. It has a nice easy course. Cape Henlopen is more difficult with hills and overgrown trees, but it's fun in the sand. I used to live near French Creek... I didn't even know they had a course!

Unfortunately I haven't played in a couple years, but still have my discs and really want to get back into it. I used to play twice a week+ in college, mainly with my roommate. We even played with this guy: http://www.kenclimo.com/

Never done it before however it's popular here. There is a course a stones throw from my backyard. Usually always someone playing.

I have been playing since 1999. I have played in tournaments and for fun. I along with a friend of mine started the Ozaukee Disc Golf Club http://www.ozdgc.com (Shameless Plug) at a course in Saukville, WI. Sause is right that Dretzka Park is one of the tougher courses in the states. Brown Deer Park which now has an 18 hole course is also one of the best courses in the Nation.

I have about 18 discs that I carry in my bag for a given round. When it is warmer out (ABOVE 40 Degrees) I am more active in the sport.

I have met Ken Climo, Barry Schultz, Des and Jay Reading, Cam Todd who are all very cool people - laid back and just overall cool people.

too cold right now, but once the temp starts hitting 55-60, we will be back out on the DG course almost every day! Anson B Nixon (built on top of a landfill) is 3 minutes from my house (Kennett Square, PA). Innova Wraith 174 is my fav, but I have been getting good results with the Orc lately, and the Aviar is my putter. Pretty much just use drivers and putters.

I'm our league's public relations guy and former president. Currently getting ready for our ICE BOWL. My play time has really suffered since I started brewing but I now have really good beer to drink when I do play!! It's legal to drink in our parks here:ban: I usually throw Innova discs and use the PDGA tour bag which can hold a lot of beer. The city I live in has two courses and within 30 minutes there are 8 more. SE Iowa rocks!!:rockin:

I generally stick with Innova and Discraft discs. I really ought to support the home team (Gateway is based here in STL), but *knock on wood* I haven't been losing or breaking many discs and have no need to accumulate any more at this time. I carry an Innova bag which holds 3 drivers, 3 mid-range, two approach discs, a putter, scorecard, towel, and two beers!

I've played for decades - never competed in tournies though. It's just a nice way to spend a sunny day. I've played courses in a dozen states from Nevada to Maryland, Minnesota to New Mexico.

I'm in St. Louis now, but was totally spoiled by years of living in the Twin Cities. In Minnesota you had to choose which of the many world class courses you wanted to play. Now I'm hard pressed to find one 18 hole course that rocks my world within a 90 minute drive. Admittedly there are a few I haven't tried in the area.

I haven't played nearly as much the past couple years but hope to get out more in '08. My friends and I used to road trip frequently to check out new courses, try new brewpubs, and catch a concert or two. Good times!

Well its looking like its that season again, tonight Im getting out the discs and scraping the dirt and crap off for a whole day of discing tomorrow! Hopefully the weather is agreeable.

What about you guys?

Disc golf was a long-time passion of mine, before I got into mountain biking. My hobbies tend to be intensive, years-long, and only one at a time. It was disc golf for several years, fishing before that...now mountain biking is the thing.

But...I did play three weeks ago for the first time in about a year. A buddy and I went up to Anderson Valley Brewing Co. in Boonville, CA. They have an excellent 18-hole course right on the brewery grounds! How cool is that! We tipped a few in the taproom, and then took a couple bombers out on the course.

I played with only an Aviar, and managed several very good drives and made a few putts. My arm was toast the next day, though.

So many great courses her in Nor Cal. DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz, of course, but my local course was Aquatic Park in Berkeley. I played the weekly tournies out there for several years, as well as the Nor Cal series.

I love disc golf... I actually just brewed a 5 gallon batch that I'm gonna bottle and take to our tag league finale in a few weeks.

I am not settled on a name yet, but am thinking that "Anhyzer Ale" may do the trick. It is a bitter, and our club is the Llamas, so I may just go with Llama Bitter as well. A GB is helping me with the labels so I am sure it will look cool either way.

I can't wait to get back out and play, I've been nursing several injures since August (most notably a torn groin - ouch) and have missed a couple months of prime time disc golf weather... but our Winter Fun league is about to start, and I plan on making it up then... the trees just seem skinner in the winter!

Disc golf is great. I try to play a couple times a month. Would play more but the closest course is about 45 min away. I've been trying to come up with a rig for the dog so he can carry around some cold ones while I play.

Disc golf is great. I try to play a couple times a month. Would play more but the closest course is about 45 min away. I've been trying to come up with a rig for the dog so he can carry around some cold ones while I play.

lol, nice - When I finally broke down and bought a disc golf bag a while back, beer carrying capacity was at the top of the list. I typically carry about 10 discs and about 4 beers, but if I'll be out for awhile, or will be playing in a big group, I can easily carry about 6 discs and about 10 beers.

Good times!!

There are tons of courses around me, I think somewhere around 2 or 3 dozen within a reasonable driving distance. My favorite is a double course on a nature presserve (Lester Lorch, S. of Joe Pool Lake for anyone in the area), one course is fairly open with LONG drives, it's the beaver. The other is heavily wooded, relying on skill shots, it's the cayote.

There's no alc allowed on any courses around here EXCEPT that one (at least it's the only one that doesn't have sign prohibiting it), but that doesn't really stop anyone. Every trash can on every course is filled with empty beer bottles.

I drive with an Innova Star SL (172) or Star TL (174), I throw an Innova KC Pro Whippet (172) for mid range, and putt with a Discraft something. I really liked my Innova Aero (168) putter though, so I may be switching back.

Used to have a bit of a problem, playing about 10-15 rounds a week, travelled for a few tournaments from Michigan to Kentucky, and played almost all of the courses in the southern Lower Peninsula. Still have all of my discs, and my portable basket, but I rarely play anymore...

How did I miss this thread? It has been at least a couple of years since I have played but my discs are still under the seat in my truck. My driver is a Z-Reaper and a Wolf. My putter is an Omega SS. My brother actually started the Hillclimber Open in Duncan, Oklahoma. One of the the toughest courses I have seen. I would love to start playing again, if I only had a babysitter.

Used to have a bit of a problem, playing about 10-15 rounds a week, travelled for a few tournaments from Michigan to Kentucky, and played almost all of the courses in the southern Lower Peninsula. Still have all of my discs, and my portable basket, but I rarely play anymore...

lol, that's funny. Bowling Green in KY? A crew from my local club rolls down there every year.

Actually... we have at two Michigan transplants in our club now - they are both way better than me.

Bowling Green in KY?
Actually... we have at two Michigan transplants in our club now - they are both way better than me.
Yeah I played Am Nationals like two or three times, it was a ton of fun but such a big time commitment. And as I said, I'm just not as good as I used to be because I don't play daily. I am amazed at how good I still am for how often I play. I used to remember not playing for a week and my putting would be terrible. Now I play 4-5 times a year, and my putting is still pretty solid. I guess that long winter spent putting in the garage paid off after all.....

I havn't played in like 14 months:( Looking at getting back into it as the league here is a bit fractured and Ice Bowl 09 is coming up so I may need to step up if that is to happen. Really need the excercise too;)

Never played any tourneys or in any clubs, just something I do for fun with some good friends. Im going to have to get out a few more times before it gets too nasty out.

This is hole 1 at my closest course near me. Taken last March I believe.
2944665311_150ab98df9.jpg

Here's an older shot of the 18th at my regular course. It's now a basket though. I think it's close to a 200 ft drop and 600 ft tee to basket.

11big.gif

I love disc golf... I actually just brewed a 5 gallon batch that I'm gonna bottle and take to our tag league finale in a few weeks.

I went with "Llama Brew"

IMG_2558.jpg

I brewed a mild a few weeks back (that is currently cask conditioning in my pin) for our upcoming Ice Bowl on Jan 31st.

IMG_3599.jpg

Good times!!

Not a disc golfer, never tried it. I did go to school with David Feldberg though. We were friends in middle school up until about 10th grade. Boy was he pissed when I made the freshman basketball team and he didn't. I remember him making the comment "You made the team and I didn't?" Yah, taller guys were at a premium I guess :D

Back