disaster please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_beer_nerd

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday and spilled a bunch of wort during transfer. My og is now 20 points off. Can I save this or should I just toss it?

IF you let the spill be, there should be no OG difference between 1 gallon spilled or 4 gallons spilled. Your og would remain the same UNLESS YOU TOPPED OFF with water to make up for the mess :p Otherwise you missed OG due to brewing efficiency.

Either way, you've still got beer. Just not as strong. Think of it, as lite.

Appreciate the humorous but seriously .....can it be saved?

If you are asking if you can get back those 20 points, yeah, just add sugar, DME, or LME. You could gain 40 points! lol just be careful... you may not like the result of overdoing it.

boil some DME in a small amount of water and add that, what was your OG after the spill, might not end up that bad after all

I brewed yesterday and spilled a bunch of wort during transfer. My og is now 20 points off. Can I save this or should I just toss it?

Just wondering, what was going on that you lost soooo much wort? how did you make the transfer?

Can you give us more details? Like at what point you spilled wort? What was your grain bill and how did you mash?

I'm thinking your 20SG points might not be what you think it is. First, if you haven't mashed before you may have just gotten really low conversion due to improper mash temp, bad pH, bad sparge, or a combination of all that and maybe a few other things.

It's also possible you didn't mix in your top off water very well and took a sample that wasn't really representative of your wort.

Was topping off part of your plan all along or did you only top off because of spilled wort?

Back