Disaster brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I went to brew this weekend and try out my BIAB system. All was going well until it came time to chill the wort and BAM, wort chiller was not where I left it and couldn’t find it. Also had no way to fit the kettle into the sink (too big) with ice. So, the only thing I could come up with was to put the wort into the stainless steel fermenter and put it into my kegerator fridge to try to get the temp down. It took Hours for this and I ended up just leaving it in there overnight and came back to it in the morning and it was 67 degrees. I figured what the hell I will pitch the 1500ml yeast starter and hope for the best.

Has anyone ever done this before or know if this is going to just be terrible? What is the effects this will have??

Thanks,

This "disaster" is also known to no-chill brewing. Perfectly fine so long as you sealed, or at least covered up the wort as it cooled

No chill brewing. As long as your fermenter is sealed up and you practice good sanitation shouldn't be a problem.

You just performed a no-chill. As long as you kept sanitary practices, and pitched a sufficient starter(which seems you did) you should probably be fine. Given that it set above 180 for extended period you might see a change in bitterness due to the ongoing isomerization. If you adjust your boil time by adding 20 mins to the end you'll probably get a more accurate IBU expectation.

That's a disaster? You are lucky you have a SS fermenter and it can take the heat, during the summer and ground water is warm I start cooling with my IC and then in to the chamber and let it finish cooling, never an issue.
People do no chill all the time, relax and something, something.

Really? So glad to hear this. Forgot to mention that also while transferring into the fermenter from the kettle, only to realize the ball valve on the fermenter was open and a good 2 gallons of sticky wort was spread across my garage floor. THAT I guess was more of a disaster. Lol
I did have the lid on but the only hole that was open was in the rubber stopper which I left open thinking it would let some steam out? Good or bad idea??

Also, I forgot to unplug my heating element and it fir d dry for about 2min. And is all black. Pretty sure I ruined that as well

Really? So glad to hear this. Forgot to mention that also while transferring into the fermenter from the kettle, only to realize the ball valve on the fermenter was open and a good 2 gallons of sticky wort was spread across my garage floor. THAT I guess was more of a disaster. Lol
I did have the lid on but the only hole that was open was in the rubber stopper which I left open thinking it would let some steam out? Good or bad idea??

Lol... yea losing 2 gallons of wort to the floor is much more of a disaster than conducting a no chill brew day. :D bummer dude.

The rubber stopped hole that was left open is fine. When I do no chill brew days I leave the top to my kettle on and it has a little hole in it. Never been an issue.

Awsome. As far as the heating element goes while it fir d dry for a couple minutes, probably just throw that out and get another correct?

Awsome. As far as the heating element goes while it fir d dry for a couple minutes, probably just throw that out and get another correct?

of course running the element without any liquid around it is frowned upon but does it still work? Can you clean off the soot? I'd assume if it still works and can be cleaned, and didn't crack, you shouldn't need to buy a new one.

I'll check that out. Appreciate all the help and advice as always on here!

Looks like some of the dissolved CO2 came out of solution and carried a bit of cold break to the surface with it.

Ok thank you. When I sampled it, it had a almost cidery alcohol smell. The flavor wasn't bad a bit spicy somewhat but when I reached in deep through the nose i got a almost choking you out burn almost from it? It was made with lemon peel and was the first time I ever did a farmhouse ale. Is this normal? Like I said, it didn't taste actually too bad for it only being in the primary for 19 days??

It doesn't look like anything bad. The taste may just be from being flat, uncarbonated warm beer. But I would not expect any "burn" Maybe from the lemon peel. How did you prepare the lemon peel, did you use any of the white pith?

What temperature did the wort reach during fermentation? If the temperatures got too warm you might have created fusel alcohols which would have a "bite".

It doesn't look like anything bad. The taste may just be from being flat, uncarbonated warm beer. But I would not expect any "burn" Maybe from the lemon peel. How did you prepare the lemon peel, did you use any of the white pith?

What temperature did the wort reach during fermentation? If the temperatures got too warm you might have created fusel alcohols which would have a "bite".

It was actually bitter orange from northern brewer. NOT lemon. As far as the term temp it was set to 68 degrees using wyeast 3711 French saison.

Ok thank you. When I sampled it, it had a almost cidery alcohol smell. The flavor wasn't bad a bit spicy somewhat but when I reached in deep through the nose i got a almost choking you out burn almost from it? It was made with lemon peel and was the first time I ever did a farmhouse ale. Is this normal? Like I said, it didn't taste actually too bad for it only being in the primary for 19 days??

CO2 will burn your nose really good. A cidery smell/taste may be acetaldehyde, one of the intermediate products of fermentation. Your beer may lose that in the bottle. Your fermentation temperature may have contributed to that too. Some saison yeasts like a warmer finish. On brew that I used Belle Saison yeast needed to be warmed to mid 80's to finish.

Honestly I would say it's almost normal looking except if you look close you can see the "flakes" in between some of the bubbles and break/krausen material, like what the surface of water looks like when it begins to freeze. Those are often the beginnings of an infection.

Has anyone ever done this before or know if this is going to just be terrible? What is the effects this will have??

I still don't have a wort chiller. I've chilled maybe 15 batches by setting it in the fridge with great results. I wouldn't worry about it. Like others have said, as long as it's covered/sealed, you're good to go.

Back