Direct sparge heat via RIMS & BCS control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First post here, but have been lurking for a while. I am in the process of building my personal brewery in stages. In fact, every time I brew, I learn something and make hardware changes/improvements for the next time. Recently transitioned from stovetop BIAB to larger electric BIAB, now to multi-kettle w/RIMS and BCS. I love the BCS concept as it will allow for continued evolution into more automation without burning bridges of dedicated control hardware (e.g. PIDs). In this planning phase, I had one question that research couldn't seem to completely answer, so I thought I would seek feedback.

What are your thoughts about going to a 2 kettle system rather than three? I would eliminate the HLT and just use a well-powered RIMS element for heating MLT water and on-demand sparge water. It would still require 2 pumps. But one less kettle and supporting hardware would make a difference in hardware, cost, complexity, cleaning (though not much for HLT). BTW the BK is 15 gallon with a 5500W element, the MLT would be 15 gal, and the RIMS would be 4500W. I already ran 240V/50A, but in concept it only needed to be a 30A supply as this could function powering only one element at a time. Anybody have experience doing this or think it would be successful or unsuccessful?

I have an undersink RO system that I use for water. Since it produces water slowly, I begin to draw off water a gallon or two at a time a few days prior to brew day. I put that in a large bottling bucket as my storage reservoir. I then transfer to my kettles (main and sparge) and treat them with salt additions there. My thought is that I would just treat the water in the bucket, then feed it to the pump to load the MLT through the RIMS tube (with RIMS heat on) until the MLT reaches the required volume, then begin recirculating with the RIMS tube on until the MLT reaches dough-in temp. Then after mashing I would pump the runnings into the BK at the same time pump additional sparge water into the MLT through the RIMS tube on the fly (pun intended). I would eventually add a float switch and just let the BCS control the flow into (or out of) the MLT by controlling the pumps on/off.

The one problem I forsee with this setup (based on this video: http://youtu.be/0AGUOCeM-WUd) is that the PID parameters for the mash recirculation would need to be very different than the parameters for the on-demand sparge water. Based upon the screenshots, I see that each output has its own set PID parameters which I do not think can be changed on the fly) , so I am thinking I would just tie two outputs together, and in the logic use the one that is responsible for the operation at that time.

Any thoughts/feedback are sincerely appreciated.

-BD

Why not just dump all the mash water into the MLT first, then start recirculating to get the temp where you want it for dough in? That or just heat the mash water in the BK and pump it over. I don't see why you'd want to go through the RIMS to feed the MLT. It will take just as long, if not longer, to get to your strike temp using that method.

The quickest is probably to put about half of the water in the MLT and half in the BK and heat each half at the same time in their respective vessels (effectively using all 10,000W you have available), then pump over from the BK when that half hits strike temp.

Thanks! Yes, this is a solid point, and one I had contemplated, but I guess the strike water is not my only concern... certainly, firing both coils to reach strike temp would happen very quickly! Rims tube into BK into MLT and recirc would be turbo fast.

My main question is: can I do two kettles and directly heat the sparge water successfully, and do so using the BCS's PID? My water supply tank would be my "LT"... Just not an "HLT". The sparging would be "on the fly, fly sparging"!

-BD

How much volume is your rims tube? Based on the volume you could calculate how fast it could take the water from the tap temp to strike temp. Also, you can rig a Rima tube to have 240volts during strike heat and the. Swap a hot for a neutral and have it powered by 120v for the mash.

The biggest problem I've heard of with on demand heating is the flow rate.

There are some on demand heaters out there for under $1000 that will give you 80°f rise in a single pass at 2gpm. If you lived where I live in the summer you could strike in a single pass.

According to the video, they were able to increase the water temp 130 degrees at a liter / minute, using 5500W. They could get a 30 degree increase using the same element at 120V, which equals 1375W. So, assuming a 4500W element could get a 100 degree rise, and considering my water is 70 degrees (I live in South Florida), I could hit sparge temp at a liter per minute, which is too fast for fly sparging anyway. Slowing the flow rate down would definitely do it, according to the math.

I do not think the volume of the RIMS tube matters - but the flow rate through it certainly does.

-BD

Back