Diptubes for TC Ports

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I've been upfront about my general distaste for loading up homebrew scale brewing vessels with TC ports due to their cost and lack of accessory flexibility, but I've finally been broken down. We get calls every day asking how to put a diptube on to the back side of a TC drain port. This was what I came up with.

Please excuse the crappy phone picture, more coming soon.

It will press fit into any 1.5" TC port as long as there's no weld slag on in the inside. It works with our TC weld ferrules, the solder on radius ferrule, and the weldless ferrule also.

The major difference with this method is that you don't need anything clamped on from the outside and it doesn't require extra clamps and gaskets.

Even better, if you're buying a valve at the same time, you might as well pick up our EZ clean TC ball valves that have an integrated diptube. Boom.

Both options use 5/8" OD x 9/16" ID tubing which turns out to be plenty of flow in almost all situations. These can also be used for whirlpool returns if we move the 90 a bit closer.

Bobby, do you think that these will work with the ferrule used on a stout kettle? The stout ferrules seem a bit long and I am not sure if the radius will clear it.

Thanks for bringing these to market!

On the press fit it wouldn't matter since the tube doesn't have to go through the ferrule. On the ez clean I would just need to know the ferrule length and if necessary I can make the bend a 45 degree or something in between.

More images

TC15pressfitdiptube-3T.jpg

TC15pressfitdiptube-4T.jpg

TC15pressfitdiptube-5T.jpg

I have a boil kettle with a 50cm diameter. Could you make one that would draw from the edge of the pot when installed to your Weldless Tank Bulkhead Flange?

Bobby, do you think that these will work with the ferrule used on a stout kettle? The stout ferrules seem a bit long and I am not sure if the radius will clear it.

Thanks for bringing these to market!

I would go with the press fit. I got a custom made one from Norcal awhile back and I couldn't get it to work. I had to cut it and use high temp tubing to connect it.

The press fit is an awesome idea!!!

Had mine delivered all the way to Denmark (Europe) Thursday. Awesome build quality and it fits my new pot brilliantly. Will post a pic once my build is complete. Thanks a million Bobby!

You're really knocking it out of the park on the ingenuity front. This got me browsing your site and a lot of you new stuff is the kind of gear that I've been thinking someone should really start making. I'm probably gonna qualify for free shipping the next time I order.

Any word on fitting the press-fit option in stout-tanks? That domed bottom creates a silly amount of dead-space, and I always have to tip the boil kettle significantly at the end.

I'll measure tonight, if it looks like it fits I'll pick up one and post the results.

As always, thanks for the new products... I own many of them :)

I've never tried them but if the port is a standard 1.5" TC it should work. In some cases it has required the user to smooth over some sharp edges on the inside of the port (the manufacturer really should do this but....) because the orings can get cut if it's sharp. Other than that, there is some dimensional adjustment possible... longer, shorter, taller, shorter, etc on the tubing itself.

Is there an extra charge to make the dip tube shorter? For my kettle I want my dip tube to be as close to the wall as possible so I'd need about 2" from the kettle TC fitting to the 90° elbow and then from there elbow to the end would be 3"

I just inherited a kettle with 2 tc port press-fit diptubes installed. Anyone know a trick for removing them for thorough kettle cleaning? I can only get them halfway out before they get stuck.

Attachments

• TC port Diptube.jpg
    TC port Diptube.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 59
Thanks for the reply. I now must admit a learning curve smack in the forehead as my buddy took one look at it and removed it by pushing it onto the tank. Apparently it's super simple once one knows what they are doing!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back