Dipping my toe in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle418

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken ~ Colonel Sand
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Steve. I'm fairly new to the homebrewing scene but have had some spectacular homebrews and became more and more interested with each new batch I get to try. I keep trying to get my friends to invite me over when they brew, but they always seem to forget, so I've never even seen the process begin. I have a fairly decent understanding (from lurking on here for 5 months and reading, reading and more reading) but I'd like to experience the process first hand before actually beginning to purchase the supplies.

Speaking of supplies, I'm trying to figure out, should I decide to take up homebrewing, what supplies I would need. Is there a kit for first timers like me (not a Mr. Beer) that is relatively inexpensive and wouldn't leave me feeling guilty at the end should I decide its not for me?

My mother in law got me the Brewers Best kit for christmass. It came with everything needed, minus the boil kettle and burner. The only upgrade I have made so far is that bought a 7.5 gal fermentation bucket so I could have a couple of ferments going at once.

I am not affiliated with Brewers Best in any way, just thought I would share. The right side of the PDF has the list of the starter kit... I dont know exactly how much it was, but I think it was somewhere around $100 or something. Plus, if you decide you dont like it, you will have no problem selling the parts to the rest of us :)

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/Brewer's Best Equipment Kit 111208.pdf

My mother in law got me the Brewers Best kit for christmass. It came with everything needed, minus the boil kettle and burner. The only upgrade I have made so far is that bought a 7.5 gal fermentation bucket so I could have a couple of ferments going at once.

I am not affiliated with Brewers Best in any way, just thought I would share. The right side of the PDF has the list of the starter kit... I dont know exactly how much it was, but I think it was somewhere around $100 or something. Plus, if you decide you dont like it, you will have no problem selling the parts to the rest of us :)

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/Brewer's Best Equipment Kit 111208.pdf

Thanks! I was looking for something like that and that has me now on the trail of several retailers in my area that I can go harass for information as well!!!

Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply, Morebeer, Midwest Supplies among many others have starter kits.

If you have a local homebrew supply shop I would stop in and talk to them. You can get supplies on short notice and if you progress to all grain you can probably get bulk grains cheaper than online when taking into account shipping costs.
They can also be the source of a lot on information.

Back