DIPA - Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew my first DIPA. Grain bill for 5 gallons:

10lbs 2-Row
5lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 10L
2 Packs US-05

I have the following hops available to me right now:

8oz Cascade
8oz Simcoe
2oz Summit

Looking for suggestions/recommendations regarding the hop additions. Don't need to use all the above but thinking a combination of the 3 would be pretty nice. Shooting for IBU's between 80-90.

If I had those hops and was doing a DIPA, the schedule would probably end up looking something like this -

1oz Summit @ 60
1oz Simcoe, 1oz Cascade @ 15
1.5oz Simcoe, 1.5oz Cascade, .5oz Summit for Hopstand/Whirlpool

Dry hop with similar/same mix as the Hopstand/Whirlpool.

Not sure what that will get you for IBU's, but it might be a place to start at least.

Cheers and enjoy the brew.

Not sure what that will get you for IBU's, but it might be a place to start at least.

Looks like that gets me right in the ballpark at around 76 IBU's. Planning on brewing this a few times using different combinations but this does look like a good place to start. Cheers!!

If it were me I might add a second oz of bittering hops. I enjoy very bitter IPAs and that's a larger grain bill.

Not sure what the A% of summit is, but I usually bitter with 2 oz of magnum or columbus.

Not sure what the A% of summit is, but I usually bitter with 2 oz of magnum or columbus.

I've seen some recipes breaking out the Summit into 1oz FWH and then 1oz 60 minute boil but the A% of the Summit is like 17.5% so was thinking 2oz might be a little too bitter for a 5 gallon batch.....puts my IBU's in the 120 range.

I didn't realize summit was that high. I'll have to try making something with it.

Latest posts

Back