DIPA dry hops HALP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzesp

Reaction score
I have made many IPA's I'm still not satisfied with the aroma or lack thereof I'm getting. Just got a big DIPA in a keg and it's not as aromatic as I would like it to be I dry hopped for 6 days with 3oz of Citra/Cascade/Centennial hole leaf. Almost no aroma of hop meh. I'm gonna have to randall the whole batch which will require at least another 2oz. I beginning to think the whole leaf hops is not as great as pellet for dry hopping as I have had success with pellet form. Any thoughts or tips?

I've never used whole leaf but I have had success with dry hopping with pellets. I brew 3 gallon batches and have been experimenting with hop schedules, amounts in the dry hop etc. The last IPA I did, I dry hopped with 2 oz Galaxy for 5 days. I just bottled it yesterday and think I might have found my sweet spot for getting the hop aroma I'm looking for. If I were doing 5 gal batches, I'd probably go with 3.5 - 4 oz dry hops. If it were a DIPA, I'd probably just go an oz per gallon.

Did you bag the hops and weigh them down so the didn't float?
This 5g or 10g?
3 oz total or 3 oz each type of hop
Anyhow, more dryhops won't hurt
Also, if your chilling times are long in this summer heat, that could be driving off some aroma from your late additions

I bagged and sunk them. in secondary. 3 oz total (5 Gallon batch). Yea my Chilling times are not great with 80 Deg tap water 30min at least. I need to hook up my pre-chiller next time. I did a Belg Dark Stong last weekend took a long time to chill.

Should I just be more heavy handed with the dry hops? I just feel I loose so much volume @ 3 oz.

There could be amny reasons for a muddled hop character, most likely Oxidation IME. Whats your recipe look like?

Ive found that concentrating on large flameout/hopstand additions seems to give a more pungent and stable hop character than copious amounts of dry hops. IM wondering how much hops went into your recipe in total. I usually do around 16oz total and dont chill for at least an hour after the flameout hops go in for maximum hopstand extraction

Recipe is mostly 2 row then Vienna /Munich /crystal 60 (some Piloncillo sugar too). Can't remember the hops schedule but it's mostly cascade/centennial ending up @ 68 IBU's and 1.070 OG finished @ 1.012.

Might try sitting on the flame out addition longer before chilling.

I purge all my vessels with CO2 before transfer to minimize oxidation. Especially when dry hopping.

68 IBUs doesnt seem like too much for a DIPA. I would suggest to give hopstanding a try sometime. It really put my IPAs over the top, especially when I started kegging. I usually do 10oz or more for the hopstand. It gives a very potent hop character but very little bitterness along with it.

Im not sure how much crystal you used but that may not be helping. I dont like any crystal in my IPAs cause I find ti clashes with hop character. This is especially important in double IPAs since you want to dry them out as much as possible. Check out these tips on IPAs from Stone and Russian River
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-tips-on-brewing-ipas-from-mitch-steele/
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-tips-for-better-ipas-from-vinnie-cilurzo/

Yea the 60 was just to tweak the color so there is not much in the bill. I'm good @ 68 IBU's for what I'm trying to do as I'm not going for hyper bitter. If I can get the aroma kicked up I'm going to be pretty satisfied. Body wise it seems right on not too thin not too sticky. I'm going to try long Hopstand with increased flameout addition instead of going immediately to chilling. I'll Randall the hell out of it this time. I'm just not used to using so much hop's in a recipe. It's getting $$$ as hell doing these IPA's.

Thanks for the links, good reading.

Latest posts

Back