Dip tube troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonepalm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Installed a dip tube in my keggle. But it was slow to drain and now it won't drain below what appears to be the valve line..

image-3083000466.jpg

image-3513561892.jpg

From my experiences, you need to have a hose that connects to the valve's output and extends beneath the valve... thus sucking the wort from the BK where the dip tube ends. Without that hose you'll just pull the wort to the valve level.

Eric

From my experiences, you need to have a hose that connects to the valve's output and extends beneath the valve... thus sucking the wort from the BK where the dip tube ends. Without that hose you'll just pull the wort to the valve level.

Eric

That's 100% accurate. The column of liquid created by the hose that runs below the valve is what allows the BK to drain to the bottom.

MC

You also need to be sure that the dip tube fittings are sealed well or it will let air in and break the siphon at that point.

that makes sense now. have a little dip tube on bottling bucket and since wand exit is below the bottom of the bucket than no issues.

Need to go grab a hose barb and throw it on there see what happens.

Back