Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triethylborane

Reaction score
Ive been working on a recipe for Off Color Brewing's DinoS'mores Stout. They call it an "Imperial Marshmallow Stout" which is pretty accurate. Using the info from their site, this is what I put together for a recipe with some tweaks of my own like cholaca instead of nibs. Ive never heard of marshmallow fluff, but marshmallow creme appears to be the same thing. Im sure the stuff at the store has a s**tton of stabilizers, so Ive found Toonie Moonie marshmallow creme that is "organic" without the extra chems.

Im also thinking the graham flour would be best added to primary rather than in the mash.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Probably brew this in the next few weeks.

Title: DinoSmores Stout
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.069
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.097
Final Gravity: 1.032
ABV (standard): 8.61%
IBU (tinseth): 42.36
SRM (morey): 50

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (62.1%)
1 lb - German - Vienna (4.8%)
1 lb - American - Wheat (4.8%)
1 lb - German - CaraMunich II (4.8%)
2 lb - Breiss Extra Special (9.6%)
0.92 lb - Flaked Oats (4.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Dark Chocolate (2.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Blackprinz (2.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Roasted Barley (2.4%)
0.5 lb - Molasses - (late addition) (2.4%) - Primary

HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 31.39
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 7 min, IBU: 10.97

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 lb - Graham Flour, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
2 each - Vanilla Beans, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
12 oz - Marshmallow Fluff/Creme, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
6 oz - Cholaca, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary

YEAST:
White Labs - English Ale Yeast WLP002
Fermentation Temp: 64 F

Mash at 150f for 90min. Ferment at 64f for 3-4days. Add adjuncts after krausen has dropped, then raise temp to 68f-70f for cleanup.

How did it turn out? Sounds really good!

A bit of a necro reply. It turned out very well, not quite a dead ringer as mine had a bit more body than DinoSmores, which is likely due to the quantity of wheat specified in my post. DinoSmores is somewhat viscous, but I see no reason to change the amount spec out as people like it.

My 5 gallon batch was decimated when the lady and her friends discovered mixing it with ice cream, making some pretty tasty ice cream shakes. Its better than any of the stouts Ive made with ice cream and those are pretty good. Just dont go bonkers and attempt to fortify abv with any "marshmallow" vodka, that stuff is trash.

What was your total time in primary and secondary if you transferred?

A bit of a necro reply. It turned out very well, not quite a dead ringer as mine had a bit more body than DinoSmores, which is likely due to the quantity of wheat specified in my post. DinoSmores is somewhat viscous, but I see no reason to change the amount spec out as people like it.

My 5 gallon batch was decimated when the lady and her friends discovered mixing it with ice cream, making some pretty tasty ice cream shakes. Its better than any of the stouts Ive made with ice cream and those are pretty good. Just dont go bonkers and attempt to fortify abv with any "marshmallow" vodka, that stuff is trash.
How was the graham flavor?

I'm listening.

I might have been a bit inarticulate, Ive never brewed with ice cream. Instead we make a form of zabaione with our beer that has been known to range from beer (almost always a stout), egg yolks, and sugar, to something more like a milk shake made with beer instead of the soft drink. But brewing with ice cream, interesting idea - perhaps just throw home made ice cream into the boil? Egg yolks are the biggest unknown but people brew beer with pumpkin, which is awful, so how bad can egg be?

What was your total time in primary and secondary if you transferred?

I only left it in primary. Ive moved between the "must transfer to secondary" and "just leave in primary" camps over the years, though I tend to get lazy and leave things in primary, with the beers turning out great.

My notes say this was left to ferment for three weeks, with krausen dropping after 4 days at 64f, then I left it to clean up at 70f for the balance of the time. Probably too long, I think it could have done with just a week at 70f, but again, lazy.

How was the graham flavor?

Great, better than using boxed graham. Its not a graham forward beer like Denver Brewing Cos Graham Cracker Porter, but you can tell its there.

Ive been working on a recipe for Off Color Brewing's DinoS'mores Stout. They call it an "Imperial Marshmallow Stout" which is pretty accurate. Using the info from their site, this is what I put together for a recipe with some tweaks of my own like cholaca instead of nibs. Ive never heard of marshmallow fluff, but marshmallow creme appears to be the same thing. Im sure the stuff at the store has a s**tton of stabilizers, so Ive found Toonie Moonie marshmallow creme that is "organic" without the extra chems.

Im also thinking the graham flour would be best added to primary rather than in the mash.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Probably brew this in the next few weeks.

Title: DinoSmores Stout
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.069
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.097
Final Gravity: 1.032
ABV (standard): 8.61%
IBU (tinseth): 42.36
SRM (morey): 50

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (62.1%)
1 lb - German - Vienna (4.8%)
1 lb - American - Wheat (4.8%)
1 lb - German - CaraMunich II (4.8%)
2 lb - Breiss Extra Special (9.6%)
0.92 lb - Flaked Oats (4.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Dark Chocolate (2.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Blackprinz (2.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Roasted Barley (2.4%)
0.5 lb - Molasses - (late addition) (2.4%) - Primary

HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 31.39
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 7 min, IBU: 10.97

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 lb - Graham Flour, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
2 each - Vanilla Beans, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
12 oz - Marshmallow Fluff/Creme, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
6 oz - Cholaca, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary

YEAST:
White Labs - English Ale Yeast WLP002
Fermentation Temp: 64 F

Mash at 150f for 90min. Ferment at 64f for 3-4days. Add adjuncts after krausen has dropped, then raise temp to 68f-70f for cleanup.

Sounds interesting but I'm having a difficult time imagining a 12oz "glop" of marshmallow fluff dropped into the fermenter. Help me out here.

Back