Digital temperature controller AND chest freezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berley31

Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber, along with a digital temperature controller.

Regarding the temp. controller, anybody out there have one in particular they can recommend?

And when using a chest freezer for this purpose, is there anything I have to know other than just plugging it into the temp. controller? Any issues with defrosting, smell, etc?

1. Ranco. However some have had issues with life expectancy. I like the dual stage for control of both heating and cooling simultaneously which is useful for fermentations.

2. Set the freezers therm to the coldest setting.

3. The biggest issue with freezers is condensation when they are routinely opened and closed. To counter this, I used silicone caulk at all the seams and dry out the cabinet between batches. For continual use, you may choose to look into a de-humidifier or a silica gel/anhydrous calcium dehumidifier system.

LOVE TSS2s are awesome for ferm chambers @ about $70 + $7 for the probe. To mount, I took a dremmel tool and cut a little square in the cover that goes in front of the compressor. That way all the power cables and stuff are hidden in the compressor hump and only the probe (and heat source power) goes inside the keezer. I've seen a lot of people mount it on the collar and deal with weathersealing and a bunch of chords just so they can look at a sexy LED readout. Not worth it IMO.

Don't know many who've said the LOVEs don't last a long time. Lots of customizable settings etc... Many people use rancos and I think they may be better if you are going to mount them inside the keezer because, if I remember correctly, they are weathersealed from the factory. Could be wrong about that.

EDIT: Always buy the longer probe so you don't have to splicety splice.

1. Ranco. However some have had issues with life expectancy. I like the dual stage for control of both heating and cooling simultaneously which is useful for fermentations.

2. Set the freezers therm to the coldest setting.

3. The biggest issue with freezers is condensation when they are routinely opened and closed. To counter this, I used silicone caulk at all the seams and dry out the cabinet between batches. For continual use, you may choose to look into a de-humidifier or a silica gel/anhydrous calcium dehumidifier system.

+1 for the dual stage ranco. It's the ultimate in temp control.

However, I'm not a fan of chest freezers. I like regular refrigerators. More gentle cooling, easier access and less moisture problems.

Latest posts

Back