Different temps in one Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncowling

Reaction score
I am looking to build a fermentation chamber. SWMBO gave me a single stage Johnson control unit for Christmas (what I asked for, didn't realize there were dual stage ones). I think this will be fine, as I plan to use it to cool in the summer months, and then switch and plug in a heating bulb for winter (living in Maryland).

My question is this...I typically have two different brews fermenting at the same time. I know the method of taping the Johnson unit's probe to the carboy works when trying to maintain a specific temperature for a batch, but what if there are two different batches? The chamber will be fairly large (enough to hold 5 carboys), so I can play around with building separate insulated walls, etc.

If you want to precisely control the fermentation temp of two fermenters you need two temperature controllers and two separate cooling sources, or a clever way to use one cooling source to supply both chambers.

I'm working towards a similar build. I recently acquired an upright freezer and want 5-6 serving kegs on the top shelf with faucet output on the front door. I want the bottom shelf to be a fermentation chamber. The goal is for the top to maintain 38 degrees and the bottom to maintain 68. I'm thinking an insulated shelf with a couple of computer fans cut into it. It's a commercial freezer with airflow pushing down from a fan in the top of the unit. Basically a Son of a Fermentation Chiller tucked into an upright Keezer.

While I'm dreaming, I also plan to implement the Raspberry Pints display, (using a BeagleBone Black), and have temp control built into a touchscreen.

My ambition far outweighs my know-how at this point though...

If you're open to buying a different temp controller, some of the dual stage controllers (like the Love controller from Dwyer) support two temperature probes. Or you could also pick up a few STC-1000 controllers for the same price. You could always use the Johnson controller you currently have for a kegerator.

Back