Different results in a saison brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portguy

Reaction score
I started home brewing about six months ago.

In May i moved to all grain and did my first Biab brew. Since the weather was hot (over 22 C inside) i chose a Saison for my first experience.

Did a 5 L test batch: pitched 2 grams of mangrove jacks M41 Belgian Ale @ around 25 C.

In June i repeated the recipe: this time 16 L batch, same yeast 6 grams @ 25 C.

Both these batches had tap water (it's good water, 7 ph, low mineral content).

Both fermented at 26-28 C. The result was a very estery beer, that actually was "undrinkable" after 1 week in the bottle (and another 2 weeks in primary fermentation).

Both had an OG of 1060ish and came down to 1004 fairly quickly (about 4 or 5 days).

No starters, just hydrated the yeast.

Moving on to 4 days ago:

Brewed the same recipe grain bill wise, but changed two things: used bottled water that i then treated with Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate to meet minimum requirements for the style and made a 1 L starter 24 hours before pitching. Same yeast, half a packet into the starter. Batch size 20 L. SG 1062 (again!)

Just four days into fermentation i can actually say this will be a lot less estery...i mean A LOT! Just took a sample and it reads 1.007. Same fermentation temp as the previous batches.

Tasted the sample and i can actually drink it now. No overwhelming esters as before.

So far i'm tempted to think: this time i actually pitched the correct amount of yeast, plus it was in a starter, meaning less of a lag phase. Couldn't be the water alone to make such a big difference, right?

I mean...the beer tastes cleaner now than after bottling the previous batches.

Oh man, this is getting fun!

A stressed yeast will produce more esters. You made a 16 liters batch with 6 grams of dried yeast. My latest saison was 1.060 and pitched 2 x Wyeast 3726. The beer came down to 1.007 and was drinkable without even being carbonated.

I do not think it was the water, but the pitch rate. The starter must have had more cells which worked the wort.

A stressed yeast will produce more esters. You made a 16 liters batch with 6 grams of dried yeast. My latest saison was 1.060 and pitched 2 x Wyeast 3726. The beer came down to 1.007 and was drinkable without even being carbonated.

I do not think it was the water, but the pitch rate. The starter must have had more cells which worked the wort.

Yes. Just what i was thinking: by my calculations i pitched

1st batch - around 40 billion cells at most. Needed about 60.

2nd batch - around 140 billion cells. Needed about 180.

3rd batch - pitch about 238 billion. Needed about 228.

Fun thing is, previous batches came out very good within a month after bottling. And some ppl liked it a lot!

So pitch rate is something to test in a Saison. I've read about it, but it's a lot fun to actually confirm this!

Thanks

Back