Different flavors in the same bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpup506

Reaction score
So... I brewed an ipa that turned out great. The odd thing is half way through the bottle it goes from hoppy floral goodness to just sweet ibu with no floral notes. Any reason this is happening? It’s like 2 different beers in one bottle.

So... I brewed an ipa that turned out great. The odd thing is half way through the bottle it goes from hoppy floral goodness to just sweet ibu with no floral notes. Any reason this is happening? It’s like 2 different beers in one bottle.

As beer gets warmer the taste can change greatly. Ice cold is generally not a good way to drink beer. You got your floral notes through your nose primarily, and hops mellowed a little as you drank. The sweetness likely came from the yeast used.

So how do I get the balance through out the entirety of the beer? Is it a matter of more dry hops, longer secondary, drink faster lol?

So how do I get the balance through out the entirety of the beer? Is it a matter of more dry hops, longer secondary, drink faster lol?

Make sure the beer has the correct serving temp to begin with. This way the change is less drastic.

First pour probably had little yeast. As you get to the bottom, you are going to incur more yeast flavor, possibly masking your other flavors.

Back