Differences between Oat Flakes and Oat Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles_1111

Reaction score
What are the differences in flavour by using oat Flakes and oat Malt?

Also I heard that traditionally they are used in stouts or porters, but I noticed they are used in some great pale ales, agreed? Let me know your opinion.

Thanks.

There will be no noticeable difference between the two.

Flaked oats are pre-gelatinized with steam and then rolled such that they do not require cooking prior to mashing.

Malted oats have been gone through the malting process and as such they have the starches of the flaked oats along with the enzymes developed during the malting process. Unfortunately malted oats don't have the level of enzymes necessary to convert all of their starches to sugars, thus should be mashed with a higher diastatic power "base" malt (2-row, 6-row, wheat) to prevent a gummy mash (although malted oats can certainly be mashed on its own).

Each adds the same to the final beer, the residual starches, if unconverted, give a texture or "creaminess" and a grainy flavor.

Oats are used in stouts and porters but have become popular adjuncts in NEIPA (Northeast IPA's) and other lighter fare.

This may further interest you:

http://scottjanish.com/case-brewing-oats/

Last edited:
Malted oats have been gone through the malting process and as such they have the starches of the flaked oats along with the enzymes developed during the malting process. Unfortunately malted oats don't have the level of enzymes necessary to convert all of their starches to sugars, thus need to be mashed with a higher diastatic power "base" malt (2-row, 6-row, wheat).

I don't think this part is true--the mash would be sticky as hell and you probably wouldn't like the mouthfeel, but you could absolutely make a 100% oat malt beer.

I think it would be more of a mouthfeel-thing as malted grains have had more proteins degraded by the maltster, while flaked oats have not.

Latest posts

Back