Did the fly F@#* Me???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeraggie

Reaction score
I racked my great smelling Pils into the secondary the other day. A few days later i noticed a dead fly floating in it. I have had the airlock on it so it must have somehow got in when I racked out of the primary. Question is, do you think it will mess up my beer??? The ABV was a 5.1% when I went to the secondary so hopefully it is enough to kill any diseases or bacteria the fly may have had. I racked into another carboy to get the fly out. The beer tastes pretty good, but not sure if I should worry!!

I had a bunch of weevils running around in my grains once. Extra protein mash. I'm sure there was some of this going on:

6-2_Canal_weevils_6_DxO_PS_2_rz.jpg

Two guys were floating in a life raft in the ocean. One of the guys finds a genies bottle and rubs it. Instantly the entire ocean turns to beer. The 2nd guy erupts saying "Way to go *******, now were are we supposed to pee?". :)

Man, this is a family board. We don't need to be inundated with this kind of filth. I'm sure Cheese is looking at that picture and polishing his weevil as we speak!

desertBrew said:
I had a bunch of weevils running around in my grains once. Extra protein mash. I'm sure there was some of this going on:

6-2_Canal_weevils_6_DxO_PS_2_rz.jpg

beeraggie said:
I racked my great smelling Pils into the secondary the other day. A few days later i noticed a dead fly floating in it. I have had the airlock on it so it must have somehow got in when I racked out of the primary. Question is, do you think it will mess up my beer??? The ABV was a 5.1% when I went to the secondary so hopefully it is enough to kill any diseases or bacteria the fly may have had. I racked into another carboy to get the fly out. The beer tastes pretty good, but not sure if I should worry!!

You did remove the fly I hope...

Well if this guy can drink beer made with dirty socks and moldy bread....

You'll live. :D

Give your beer a few days in the clearing tank. If it doesn't start to smell like vinegar and get white icebergs on top you'll be fine.

Now, the more important question is, when you removed the fly, did you squeeze the last little bits of beer from that greedy little fooker?

Hey I could market this like the Tequila with the worm in it!!! Wow, a dead fly mayhave just given me the million dollar idea....well, maybe

An Englishman, a Scott, and a Irishman walked into a pub.
Each orderd a pint of beer. Then a fly landed in each one's beer.

The Englishman, turning slightly green, pushed his beer away and asked for another one.

The Scott took the fly out, shrugged, and drank his beer.

The Irisman pinched the fly between his fingers and yelled
"SPIT IT OUT!" "SPIT IT OUT!"

Back