Did oxyclean ruin my keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny2884

Reaction score
I filled up my corny with hot water and oxyclean a few weeks ago with the intention of letting it sit for an hour before I emptied it. However, I fell asleep on the couch and didnt get a chance to empty till two days later. Now there is oxyclean particles caked all of the interior walls of the keg. I've tried putting more oxyclean in to see if it would take the residue off but it didnt. I tried vigorously shaking the keg to see if that worked without any luck. Has any had this happen to them before? How can I fix this? The entire inside of the keg has the feeling of sandpaper and even scrubbing certain areas with the rough side of a sponge did nothing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Acid rinse. I like Starsan, but some people use white vinegar.

Basically what happens is that regular Oxyclean will percipitate out minerals out of harder water. That stuff is a ***** to clean out too, but a Starsan rinse will get it right off. If it gets to be a hastle, look at using PBW. Its designed with other surfactants to allow for easier rinsing in hard water.

Id bet hard water...

Mine is soft... so I can let it sit for weeks with no affect.

Yea my water is on the hard side. And its actually not Oxyclean, its Clorox OxyMagic. I assume they're pretty similar tho.

The oxyclean residue will come off with manual washing. Just put more oxyclean solution in, wash with a rag or scrub with a brush, then drain and rinse.

If that doesn't work, I find that washing with Bar Keeper's friend takes care of any issue with stainless.

I have relatively hard water and have this problem as well. White vinegar seems to do a better job taking off the "scale" than Star-San. Gonna switch to PBW and see if it works better.

Back