Did my child just poison my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I'm brewing the garage when my toddler came in pulled the lid off my kettle and through some random flower bulb in that she found in the grass. I'm assuming I'm safe since I got it out pretty quick and it's just one tiny bulb in several gallons of wort. But am I gonna die from drinking this?

That is so cute! She wanted to contribute!

Did you boil the wort after? If so, then RDWHAHB.

And if not, and you pitched the yeast quickly, they will most likely overpower the flower nasties. If they don't, you'll have a surprise flower sour! Might even start a new trend!

That is so cute! She wanted to contribute!

Did you boil the wort after? If so, then RDWHAHB.

And if not, and you pitched the yeast quickly, they will most likely overpower the flower nasties. If they don't, you'll have a surprise flower sour! Might even start a new trend!

Boiling kills (non-spore) organisms. It doesn't necessarily destroy other toxic substances. If the flower itself was poisonous, that could survive into the finished beer.

I would be way more worried to know that my daughter was playing with poisonous flowers! On my own yard!
You know, that's a good point, but maybe this is a canary in the coal mine situation. She was playing with the unknown flower bulbs and was perfectly fine. I think we're all good here. Thanks little one, I guess.

Last edited:
Go research the plant. My grandfather used to make dandelion wine. Some plants OK. Some poison. Go figure it out...
Good idea. So based on what's I've read, I'm pretty sure I'm fine. Sime bulbs can be toxic, but the ones I was looking at,, it seems like you'd have to actually eat them to feel sick, and it would take more then one little bulb. Apparently they used to boil and eat tulip bulbs back in the day with minor stomach irritation. I dont think there would be anything to worry about with one tiny bulb in 7 gallons of mash temp wort for a minute.

Probably ok given the short contact time but many flower bulbs are poisonous if consumed. I guess the question is how much do you want to risk being wrong about this?

Probably ok given the short contact time but many flower bulbs are poisonous if consumed. I guess the question is how much do you want to risk being wrong about this?
I'm just gonna let it ride, and test it on myself. I figure if I can drink one or two with out barfing then I'm in the clear.

Back