Did my child just poison my beer?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Joewalla88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2013
Messages
776
Reaction score
137
Location
Walla Walla
I'm brewing the garage when my toddler came in pulled the lid off my kettle and through some random flower bulb in that she found in the grass. I'm assuming I'm safe since I got it out pretty quick and it's just one tiny bulb in several gallons of wort. But am I gonna die from drinking this?
 

Barbarossa

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
HBT Supporter
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Messages
328
Reaction score
512
Location
Montreal
That is so cute! She wanted to contribute!

Did you boil the wort after? If so, then RDWHAHB.

And if not, and you pitched the yeast quickly, they will most likely overpower the flower nasties. If they don't, you'll have a surprise flower sour! Might even start a new trend!
 

RCope

CopeCraft Brewing
HBT Supporter
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
318
Reaction score
1,111
Since it was "in the kettle" I assume you were boiling...so you should be fine. I would, however, save the bulb, photograph it, dissect it and try to determine its source. This may be the best beer in the history of beer and you may want to repeat it! :)
 
OP
J

Joewalla88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2013
Messages
776
Reaction score
137
Location
Walla Walla
I'm mashing a BIAB brew. Thanks for the peace of mind guys! Sounds like I'm safe.
 

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 2, 2011
Messages
16,440
Reaction score
5,972
Location
Arlington (DC)
That is so cute! She wanted to contribute!

Did you boil the wort after? If so, then RDWHAHB.

And if not, and you pitched the yeast quickly, they will most likely overpower the flower nasties. If they don't, you'll have a surprise flower sour! Might even start a new trend!
Boiling kills (non-spore) organisms. It doesn't necessarily destroy other toxic substances. If the flower itself was poisonous, that could survive into the finished beer.
 

Barbarossa

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
HBT Supporter
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Messages
328
Reaction score
512
Location
Montreal
Boiling kills (non-spore) organisms. It doesn't necessarily destroy other toxic substances. If the flower itself was poisonous, that could survive into the finished beer.
I would be way more worried to know that my daughter was playing with poisonous flowers! On my own yard!
 
OP
J

Joewalla88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2013
Messages
776
Reaction score
137
Location
Walla Walla
I would be way more worried to know that my daughter was playing with poisonous flowers! On my own yard!
You know, that's a good point, but maybe this is a canary in the coal mine situation. She was playing with the unknown flower bulbs and was perfectly fine. I think we're all good here. Thanks little one, I guess.
 
Last edited:
OP
J

Joewalla88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2013
Messages
776
Reaction score
137
Location
Walla Walla
Go research the plant. My grandfather used to make dandelion wine. Some plants OK. Some poison. Go figure it out...
Good idea. So based on what's I've read, I'm pretty sure I'm fine. Sime bulbs can be toxic, but the ones I was looking at,, it seems like you'd have to actually eat them to feel sick, and it would take more then one little bulb. Apparently they used to boil and eat tulip bulbs back in the day with minor stomach irritation. I dont think there would be anything to worry about with one tiny bulb in 7 gallons of mash temp wort for a minute.
 

mashpaddled

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2018
Messages
537
Reaction score
288
Location
Denver, CO
Probably ok given the short contact time but many flower bulbs are poisonous if consumed. I guess the question is how much do you want to risk being wrong about this?
 
OP
J

Joewalla88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2013
Messages
776
Reaction score
137
Location
Walla Walla
Probably ok given the short contact time but many flower bulbs are poisonous if consumed. I guess the question is how much do you want to risk being wrong about this?
I'm just gonna let it ride, and test it on myself. I figure if I can drink one or two with out barfing then I'm in the clear.
 
Top