Did I ruin my beer or can I pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romigdb

Reaction score
I just did my first brew in years and got a little impatient. I forgot to properly chill the wort and pitched very hot. About an hour later the fermenter was scalding hot, so I set it outside on a 45 degree night to cool. Now, 4 days in and still no bubbles in the fermentation cap, so I'm guessing I killed my yeast. My question is, can I pitch more yeast and give it a stir or should I just start over and do it right? Thanks a lot.

I haven't run into this problem personally. However, the yeast is almost surely dead if it was much over 80 degrees. While it may not have been killed, the best way to make sure is to check it with the hydrometer. If it is indeed exactly the same as it was originally. I would think you should be able to repitch it. However, if it has been left exposed to the air or not secured, I'd be concerned with bacteria. But if that's not a worry, I would try repitching if the OG hasn't changed.

It should be ok you may have even made nutrient for the new yeast to cannibilize off of. Definalty pitch, your fermenter shouldnt even be warm really it should be mildly cool to room temp, without using a thermometer, i actually know the temp by feelling it now.

So I pitched another vial of yeast on day 5 and gave the whole thing a good shaking (while sealed) for aeration. I had vigorous fermentation for a few days, which has since slowed but seems to be going fine. I used to just throw it in the closet for a month and then add corn sugar and bottle, but, given that I had no fermentation for 5 days, is there anything that I should be concerned with regarding the final product/anything that I can do to mitigate those issues? Or should I just bottle like normal and hope for the best? Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

If you noticed fermentation after a few days from the 2nd yeast, you should be fine. RDWHAHB

I haven't run into this problem personally. However, the yeast is almost surely dead if it was much over 80 degrees...

Not true. Dry yeast is re-hydrated at 104°F

However, that is barely warm to your 98F skin. HOT to your senses will kill the yeast.
Pitch again.

Thermometers are vital tools to homebrewing....just sayin'

So I pitched another vial of yeast on day 5 and gave the whole thing a good shaking (while sealed) for aeration. I had vigorous fermentation for a few days, which has since slowed but seems to be going fine. I used to just throw it in the closet for a month and then add corn sugar and bottle, but, given that I had no fermentation for 5 days, is there anything that I should be concerned with regarding the final product/anything that I can do to mitigate those issues? Or should I just bottle like normal and hope for the best? Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

You may have some issues due to the length of time from brewing to repitching but there is nothing you can do about that now. At this point I would treat it as a new brew and want 3-4 weeks from the repitch day, then package.

It should be a good one.:tank:

Not true. Dry yeast is re-hydrated at 104°F

However, that is barely warm to your 98F skin. HOT to your senses will kill the yeast.
Pitch again.

Thermometers are vital tools to homebrewing....just sayin'

Well, 80 degrees may not kill it, if I'm wrong that just helps me prevent from killing my yeast in the future, lol. However, I always try to pitch lower than that. And you're def. right. Make the Thermometer your friend, I have one I use religiously and am thinking I need at least a second one!

Reviving this thread to see how it went for the OP.

I did the same thing--although my pitch temp was probably much higher-- :eek: and am currently at a week after re-pitching. If I hadn't read this thread, I would have tossed my first batch instead. Thanks to this board for saving it (hopefully)!

Back