Did I ruin my 2.5g Hefe batch by over hopping it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr090401

Reaction score
I did my first BIAB batch of a hefe recipe and I was so over thinking everything and I ended up tossing 2oz of German Hallertau Hops in my boil for 60 mins! The recipe only called for 1oz...is the batch ruined ??

really...? well I'm bottling tomorrow so we will see in a week or so! :ban: Thank you!

You can taste it when you bottle, it's all done but the carbonation. No sense bottling a Hefeweizen that is "off" at that point.

I don't think you can kill a beer with noble hops. They aren't bitter enough or strongly flavored enough. Your IBUs are probably in the 20 - 30 range. It's high, and you might lose some yeast flavors in the background. But you should be fine.

It's not ruined, by any stretch of the imagination! It may not be the best thing you've ever tasted, but it just might! Experimentation and taste-budding are two of the awesome things about brewing your own.

Even if you don't like it, there's a darn good chance that someone you know will think it's the nectar of the gods, and will drink every last drop. Worst case scenario for you: you have a darn fine beer that is a little too hoppy. Still a pretty good outcome!

Guys! Thanks for all the replies! Well, here's what happened...Bottled and primed it for 1 week....popped one open because I just couldn't wait. Stinky and VERY bitter beer. It still smelled a little too much like sulfur and I was very disappointed and was about to throw it out. But I said screw it let see what happens in another week....Huge improvement. The smell was diminishing and the bittering was also mellowing out.As far as the taste, it was starting to taste like a Hefe! On Friday it will be 3 weeks in the bottle lets see what happens, so far it looks good!

Glad you didn't toss it. Sometimes you can judge the goodness of a beer after a week in the bottle. But unless it makes your face fall off or violently sick, you can't decide if it should be dumped after only one week.

The sulfur is probably yeast. Did you use WLP 320 or 380? Those are both known for leaving residual sulfur.

Back